1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension 8250 (533MHz FSB) Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rickkman, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rickkman

Rickkman Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 (533MHz FSB) Desktop with 512 ram which occupies 2 slots. There are still two open slots but according to both Dell and Crucial the remaining slots should not be upgraded and that my memory is maxed out at 512. I had cosidered upgrading to Windows Vista but this would be a stretch on this machine and only made worse with 512 ram. What is the reason for the max of 512 with two open slots?
    Thanks

2. norton850

norton850

Your Dell uses RDRAM which must be installed in pairs. Crucial generally doesn't carry it, but it is available from Dell and elsewhere. I looked here 8250 Specs and it looks like 2GB is your max. Did you find somewhere where it said differently?

3. Rickkman

Rickkman Thread Starter

Crucial stated that I was maxed out at 512 ram and Dell Tech Support told me that I would void my extended warranty (expired 12/2006) if I installed any more memory than the installed 512 ram.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Here's a link to where you can find PC800 RDRAM. http://www.starmicro.net/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=42

I think you might want to hold off on Vista for that machine. 512 would be the minimum you can use, but I can see you tearing your hair out trying to get a RAM configuration that works.

5. Rickkman

Rickkman Thread Starter

I guess just putting in 2 more 256 ram chips in the open slots won't be the job. What else would I have to do to get them to work in this machine? Why the big price difference between the 45ns PC800 RDRAM Rambus Memory and the 40ns. The latter is about half the price.
    Maybe just better picking up a cheap Dell with Vista already installed than going through the expense and hassle.
    Thanks for your input.

6. billybaroooooo

billybaroooooo

Rick,
    It looks like we have the same computer! I'm running into the same problem. Here is what I found out today! We can run up to 2GB of memory. Dell offers it, they said I need to buy two. So at 359 a pop times 2 were looking at 750 out the door with tax! You have to be kidding I told them.
    DELL
    512 MB Memory Module for a Dell Dimension 8250 (533 MHz FSB) System
    Manufacturer Part# SNP2W731C/512
    Dell Part# A0767642

Tigerdirect and Crucial do no carry this product!

I was told I need PC 1066 non ecc by both Tiger and Dell!

Let me know if you can find something cheaper!

Thanks
    BB

7. Rickkman

Rickkman Thread Starter

The cost scared me away also. The machine is several years old and to put that much money into expensive ram seemed like a waste. There is someone on ebay that sells the ram for a lot less. He has excellent reviews and it is guaranteed to work in our machines. If you are going to upgrade this is probably the only reasonable option since he charges about a third of the prices that you were quoted.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice