1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension 9200 upgraded to vista probs

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by funky_broom, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. funky_broom

funky_broom Thread Starter

I bought my Dell Dimension in November with a upgrade to Vista.
    Have installed the upgrade and since then my pc wont start everytime.
    I have managed to start it for the first few days did some work etc etc, now everytime i start the pc i have to have 3 or 4 attempts to start it and then try to start in safe mode which eventually works, i then have to do a system restore to a point where i know it will work.

Have spoken to Dell for the last 2 weeks trying to sort this out and they keep telling me pc is not compatable and need to restore back to win xp.
    My argument with them is why sell me a win vista pc that is not compatible. They keep have suggested i pay for software support which i did once, this did nothing at all. Didnt get my money back either.

What could be my problem.
    How do i know when the drivers i need are updated onto the microsoft site for vista to download. As this seems to be the biggest issue.
    Also I think that Mcafee is one of the problems as i just cant get it uninstalled,
    Surely someone here has an idea as to what is happening i do not have any additional hardware except my printer and that works ok, although i do get a warning, but i think that is for software and the auto update feature with HP

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"they keep telling me pc is not compatable and need to restore back to win xp"

Then might ask them why they gave you a Vista upgrade?

What is the problem uninstalling Mcafee.

If you are having problems even in safe mode, mcafee wouldn't even be loading. So it doesn't appear that drivers or autoupdates etc. would be the cause of the problem since from safe mode, those don't get initiated.

3. twkirby

twkirby

4. funky_broom

funky_broom Thread Starter

Thanks for replies.
    Had a look at myfixes that you provided and have read it. However it says this works wiv winxp............ will it work with vista

I am only guessing that its mcafee that is causing the probs because like a blind fool i tried reinstalling it using the original disk :eek: but knowing the luck i am having it could be anything.

a pc to me is like a car
    I only know how to drive the car not what makes it drive :rolleyes:

Once again many thanks for the help

5. Compiler

Compiler

Just remember next time: Why Buy a Dell?

You should also complain to a manager about the lousy tech support.

The 9200 is a typical unit sold today - the Consumer version is the e520... no real difference. And of course they sold you the PC with the UPGRADE package for vista.

So, the guy was a liar or didn't want to deal with you.

Recommendation: backup your DATA - restore your PC to its original OS and enjoy.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!