1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension C521; USB key/mouse driver load interrupted by video card driver load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by diablo75, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

I'm working with a Dell Dimension C521 PC. It came with a PCI-Express video card which apparently has failed, yet the motherboard itself has on-board video. The system will boot using this video output (as opposed to the card which produced nothing) but when it finally gets to windows the auto-detect driver routine kicks in and begins to detect the video card, prompting the user to "Continue Anyway" to finish installing unsigned drivers. Unfortunately this event takes place in front of the installation of the USB keyboard and mouse (times like these I wish it had PS/2 ). Anyway, whether I boot up into Safe Mode or normal a prompt comes up about installing drivers for the on-board chipset. I can't interact with it because the driver install routine for the keyboard/mouse becomes interrupted.

2. diablo75

diablo75 Thread Starter

Bump. I've been thinking... the only way I think this can be fixed is if I boot from a Linux CD or something similar and delete a particular set of drivers for this video card. It can't prompt you to install any drivers if they don't exist, right? But I don't know where to go to delete such files and prevent them from automatically trying to install themselves. Any ideas?

3. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

Did you change the settings for onboard in BIOS? and or remove the defective card?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!