1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension E510 has black screen with blinking cursor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DSargent, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DSargent

DSargent Thread Starter

Hi,
    Our desktop PC will not boot up. I turn it on and the Dell screen comes on then it goes straight to a black screen with a white unmovable cursor blinking at top left. The computer does not beep when I turn it on. Once this black screen comes on the keyboard does not work. I can't get passed this screen.

We have noticed the computer working slowly lately and yesterday as I was typing an email the cursor disappeared then returned.

We did open it up and clean it with a dust cloth hoping that may help but it did not.

Thanks for any help!

2. vicks

vicks

Welcome to TSG forums!
    The recommended way to clean the inside of a computer is to use a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of it, including the fans.
    Now to the booting problem.
    Try the following:
    When you turn the computer on, immediately start tapping the F8 key. This should open safe mode. If it does, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move up to the "last known good configuration" choice,. click the enter key. Let the computer do it's thing.
    post back and let us know how it goes and I will give you a couple other things to do.
    Vicks

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

The Dell Dimension E510 used a BTX form factor motherboard. These motherboards had a high failure rate after 3-4 years and what you describe is a characteristic of a failed motherboard. Another characteristic of a failed motherboard on these machines was a black screen and the fan would run wide open.

Intel discontinued futher developement of the BTX form factor in 2006. This may be a factor you want to consider if the problem is the motherboard and you decide to replace it.

4. DSargent

DSargent Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I tried tapping the F8 key- nothing happened.

We're having a computer guy check it out tomorrow. I'm hoping it is not beyond repair. If it is a failed motherboard- is it likely that all our pictures, videos, etc are lost?

Thanks again!

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the problem is a failed board as I suspect, I believe your chances of recovering pictures, videos, documents, etc. from the HDD should be good.

6. DSargent

DSargent Thread Starter

It was a bad hard drive. We had the hard drive replaced and everything is working great!

Thanks!

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

I'm glad the problem wasn't the board, but perhaps you should look for a back up solution so you don't have to worry in the future about losing data.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice