1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension E510 wont boot and has no lights

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alsu, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alsu

alsu Thread Starter

About three days ago I started my computer and was hit with the dreaded blinking amber lights on startup. I had read that taking the battery on the motherboard out and then putting it back in was a fix for it, it worked but I was afraid to turn off my computer so I didn't.Then yesterday morning the amber lights were back when I wasn't on the computer. I did the battery thing again and I no longer got the amber light, I got no lights and it still doesn't start. The motherboard light is on,I replaced the battery, tried removing different components and trying to start it again and just about any other solution besides buying a psu that I found in a google search. I just want to see if there is any other possible way before I have to buckle down and buy a new psu. I'm sure the button works because it flashes when I hold it down with the AC unplugged so that I can make sure the MB is off. Although I have to hold it down for like 40 secounds rather than 4 like its supposed to be.

2. entropy2

entropy2

You're not even close to determining you need a new PSU. Here is a good resource (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbysymptom/ht/wontstart.htm) .

The blinking amber light MAY actually provides information in the sequence of blinking... otherwise listen for the beep sequence (e.g. google 'beep code') if you can power it on at all.

I would suggest the following to-do list:
    - assess any pre-boot codes (e.g. beep sequence)
    - Reseat your ram strips. My guess is that you have a bad ram... but that’s a guess
    - reseat pluggable peripherals (e.g. video cards, etc)
    - Systematically disconnect EACH and EVERY peripheral (e.g. DVD drive, 802 card, NIC, etc)

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Before I purchased a power supply I would take the machine to a repair facility and have them test the power supply and if the power supply is defective, "jump" a known good power supply to the board to see if the machine will boot.

The E510 used a BTX form factor motherboard that had a high failure rate after about 3 years.

4. alsu

alsu Thread Starter

Blinking and beeps are not happening at all so I cant use those, and I did all of you suggestion already. The only thing in those guides that I haven't done is test the thing officially but like win2kpro suggested I will find a place that sells it and have them test it. I have to ask based on win2kpros post is, wouldn't the solid green led on the MB prove that the MB is not broken?

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

No, the green LED on the motherboard only indicates the motherboard is receiving +5v standby power.

If in bench testing the motherboard is found to be defective, I personally wouldn't recommend that the machine be repaired. Although you may find a new motherboard, most you find will be "pulls" taken from machines removed from service for one reason or another. Intel stopped further developement of the BTX form factor in 2006.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice