1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension E510

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lehatche, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

I have a Dell E510, There seems to be a power problem. The computer will not boot after a power interruption. The only way to get it to boot is to remove battery wait a few minutes and the replace the battery. I then replug the power cord and push the computer power button. At this time the power button wll blink amber and the other indicator lights wil blink. After abount 30 to 45 seconds the power button wll turn green and the computer boots up. I am thinking it is a power supply problem anyone have a thought?

2. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

Also if it is a PSU problem Where do I get a good cheap one?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Dimension E510 is a desktop and not a laptop, so what battery are you referring to? The round CMOS battery in the motherboard?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link to the user's service manual. Click the "Troubleshooting" link and then click the "System Lights" link and then read the information about blinking amber.

4. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

I am sorry! I should have made myself clear that I was removing the CMOS battery. Due you think it could be the PSU? or could it be the MB.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a diagnostic expert, so I can't say for sure if it's the motherboard or the power supply. Probably your best bet is to take your desktop to a reputable computer shop and let a technician run a diagnostic on it because they have the knowledge and tools to do it.

I highly suggest that you invest in a good battery-backup unit and keep your computer connected to it instead of directly in a wall outlet. I use the brick-type model that has 8 outlets and has battery-backup power in 4 of them. I connect my desktop, monitor, cable modem, and router into those outlets. If the power flickers for a few seconds or goes out completely for a few minutes, I can still use my computer and have time to turn it off properly.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

The power supply is easy enough to test with a power supply tester. I am more inclined to believe the problem may be a problem with the motherboard start circuitry.

The E510 has a BTX form factor motherboard that have known problems, and a high failure rate when they are more than a couple of years old.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/892173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice