1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Dimension L667r Win2k OS Upgrade....Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ipconfig, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ipconfig

ipconfig Thread Starter

Hey people, I need some help here, Im tryin to upgrade to Win2000 Professional from Windows 98 (DONT LAUGH) and I have some compatibility issues.
    Could anyone tell me how I can get a Dell Windows 2000 Migration Kit?? (Im in the middle of the jungle...so no Dell Shops here)
    If anyones had a similar problem please let me know.......You can email me

Ant help accorded will be highly appreciated:confused:

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

Welcome to TSG!

I hope this advise is not too late, but you should never upgrade from 98 to w2k. All you will get is problems. Back up your data and perform a clean install (you don't have to delete the old windows folder unless you need the disk space). After the clean install, re-install all of your apps. You can then copy your favorites and documents from the windows folder to the new folders under Documents and Settings, or into winnt folder if needed. If you aren't sure you will keep the w2k install, don't change the disk format to NTFS, leave as FAT32. If you want to convert later for security or performance, that is easy.

3. ipconfig

ipconfig Thread Starter

Thanks ....does that mean i just have to download display, sound and network adapter drivers??/ Just asking

4. rawmeat

rawmeat

Yes, whether you upgrade or do a clean install, you will have to download the w2k drivers first. W2k may have native drivers that work, but I would get the manufacturer's drivers if available.

Good Luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!