1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dell DisplayLink

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joesjr, Nov 4, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. joesjr

joesjr Thread Starter

SysInfo:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 8048 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 104 GB (51 GB Free); D: 931 GB (931 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0JGKPC
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Now that that's out of the way, I'm hoping somebody can help me keep my two monitor system working consistently. I use the laptop above and two PnP Vizio HDTVs as monitors. One monitor shares the laptop display and the second monitor extends the desktop both monitors are the same Vizio model D32f. I Updated the graphics driver for NVIDIA and also checked for a Windows 10 update. I restarted the laptop after both updates were completed. It seems when the 2nd monitor is powered off, the computer detects an additional monitor, but when I power the monitor on, the settings change and detect no 2nd monitor. Both screen caps illustrate the issue. It sometimes works seamlessly for days but then upon my next morning login, it ceases to work as intended. In the past I have disconnected/reconnected the various connection and power cables but it becomes more and more frustrating to figure out how to make it work.Thank you for taking the time to read my problem and reply.

Attached Files:

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Which dock are you using?

I have seen this happen and an update would fix it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. joesjr

joesjr Thread Starter

Dell DisplayLink is the dock. It works inconsistently, meaning two or three days, no problems, but on the 4th day I start up my system and the 2nd monitor doesn't get recognized. I have performed the updates as already outlined.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What is the dock's model number?

I was also referring to the BIOS, and chipset drivers. Sometimes the dock has a firmware update.

The last user I had to work on this issue had the motherboard replaced.

5. joesjr

joesjr Thread Starter

Does this pic help?

Attached Files:

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Just.. you had the model number cut off. D6000 Universal Dock it looks like.

This is the firmware update from June 2019 for the dock.

According to your TSGInfo, you have a Dell G3 3779. If you can provide the serial/service tag (usually on the bottom) I can link you to the correct video driver.

Providing you have that laptop, this BIOS update would be recommended as well as the Intel Chipset Driver.

7. joesjr

joesjr Thread Starter

it is the D6000 and I'm installing the firmware update but I'm confused as it says to disconnect all USB connections. I'm guessing the changes will take effect when I reconnect the HDMI and USB cables to my monitor and laptop respectively? I only ask because as the device is updating it says: Please do not remove power and usb connection. Are the changes being made to the device or my laptop harddrive to correspond with the device? It's a very slow process so I'm concerned the USB3 cable from the DisplayLink should have stayed connected to the laptop???

Service tag(s/n) GH5VCQ2

Intel Chipset Driver installation asked me if I wanted to downgrade from my version to the one you linked, I said NO and quit that operation.

Since the BIOS update will restart the computer, I'm holding off until the Display dock finishes

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have never seen it show to downgrade the version... did it show the current version and the version I have linked?

Usually the firmware for the docks would not need to remove the USBs from the dock itself... but it would be a good practice. The firmware is for the Dock.

What do you mean by USB3 cable from the DisplayLink

9. joesjr

joesjr Thread Starter

Here is what I see when I open the installer. The blue lit cord is the power and the cord out of the left side is the cord that connects to my laptop, it has two USB connector options, (I'm thinking I may have the actual name of the smaller connector incorrect referring to it as USB3, maybe it's USB-C, a standard USB similar to the end of my cell phone charger that plugs into the wall adapter (top of image) OR a smaller connector a "micro connector" (bottom of image) Photo included. Since my laptop has a slot for the smaller connector, it's how I have been connected since I bought the Dell DisplayLink.

As you see it says disconnect ALL, but then there's nothing connecting to the laptop. Do I leave the left cable connected then?

Attached Files:

10. joesjr

joesjr Thread Starter

upload_2019-11-15_16-0-33.png

upload_2019-11-15_16-1-11.png

I clicked "cancel"

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yes, you will leave that one connected to the computer. It's the ports on the actual dock that needs to be disconnected.

As to the other one, you can leave it alone and see if it works. If not, try downgrading the drivers.

12. joesjr

joesjr Thread Starter

So far each day I have enjoyed my two monitor set up working as expected. I did not choose to downgrade the one item. Thanks for your help on this.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    So it's working now?

14. joesjr

joesjr Thread Starter

Yes, so far so good. Thanks again.

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Awesome :) Don't forget to mark solved on the top left

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice