Dell E1505 HD upgrade issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KZRider

Need to replace original 80 Gb IDE HDD in Dell Inspiron E1505. Based on Dell's comment that it was compatible I purchased as WD 320 SATA HDD (WD3200BEKT) from NewEgg since Dell was out of stock. Tried cloning the HD using Acronis True Image Home 2009 and a USB External Enclosure kit. Now the 320 Gb HD only shows 80Gb available and that won't boot when installed. Without any documentation from WD with the HD, no warning from Acronis and no word from Dell that compatibility might be an issue. I guess I'm just supposed to intuitively know stuff. Now that I've vented a bit, can someone help:

a) Tell me how to restore the WD HD to its original state and start over.
b) What migration software should be used or, if it is supposed to be done with manual partitioning, how do accomplish this?
c) What, if anything, I need to do to the E1505 to get it to accept the full capacity of this HD

dustyjay

Jay
Unless you reformatted the 80Gig drive or deleted everything off of it after the cloning session the 80 gig should stillbe usable in the dell as the boot drive. Cloning a drive does not remove anything from it. It just copies the drive over to the new drive.

KZRider

Fortunatley, the old drive is still available (it is what I'm using now) but that doesn't help me get the new drive (the WD3200BEKT) set up and installed. Apparently, because I attempted to clone it using Acronis, it believes it only has 80 Gb of storage. How do I restore it to its original state? How do I migrate the contents of the current drive onto it? And what, if anything, do I need to do to set up the Dell E1505 computer up to use it properly? Any help toward those three objectives is appreciated.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The drive hasn't been locked to 80GB, Acronis simply copied the drive and failed to expand it to the full size of the new drive, sometimes happens if there's a issue with the original drive, sometimes it just seems to happen for no good reason. All you have to do is to expand the 80GB partition using a partitioning program like Acronis Disk Director or there are free versions as well, here's some: http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/partitioneditors.shtml or Paragon's free version: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/download.html

Or you can simply do another clone, the clone removes previous installations, even the Windows CD\DVD can be used to delete existing partitions to wipe a disk as can the free KillDisk program.

But the fact that it doesn't boot suggests the copy didn't occur properly. You may want to try cloning the drive with both drives installed in the computer rather then the one being connected thru USB.

Western Digital also provides a free hard drive cloning program available free from their website: http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp
Note: I see WD has switched from their Data Lifeguard tools to a custom version of Acronis TrueImage as well.

KZRider

Got this message from a Dell forum:

"If you cloned the drive, you ran into the problem with Media Direct, and the result was probably a truncated drive. You can wipe the drive clean using one of a few utiilities - see below. What you cannot do is a clone of the entire drive, for reasons that are also explained here:

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/hpa-issues.htm"

With all the Dell computers in the world this HAS to be a common problem and someone Dell, Western DIgital, Acronis, SOMEONE, has to have written a utility to make this process simpler for the ordinary user like myself.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The link in your above post has instructions and tools for restoring the drive to full capacity and cloning it successfully. FYI, not all Dell's use HPA, few actually do.

KZRider

Not to doubt you on this because you sound like you have far more expertise than me in this matter but the web-based research I have done so far leads me to think that just about every Dell laptop with MediaDirect as a feature DOES have this problem -- and that is a lot of computers.

As regard the goodells.net solutions, each of those appears to require either:
1) Attaching the drive (I assume as a secondary drive not as a USB drive) to a working computer. This is not a viable option for me as I only have the laptop.
2) Build a bootable CD which allows me to run the specific software. This might work but I don't know how to do it and haven't found a useful source yet that explains how to do so. Perhaps someone here can advise or direct me to a good source.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The tools listed to unhide the HPA I believe come in an ISO that you simply burn to CD(burn from CD Image). The Seagate and Hitachi programs definitely come in ISO(CD Image) already.

How to burn ISO: http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

I think the Sector Editor program can be run from within Windows on the drive you want to remove the HPA info.

FYI, I've cloned many Dells, not one had the HPA partition since they all cloned correctly and Dell no longer uses that method either.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online