1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell E510 error lights 2 3 4 - USB port?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slimpickins66, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slimpickins66

slimpickins66 Thread Starter

So I was using my Dell E510 and all of a sudden it shut off and the power light turned from solid green to flashing amber. The error codes on the front panel were 2 3 4. I looked this up in the manual and this is what I found:

"A possible USB failure has occurred."
    "Reinstall all USB devices, check cable connections, and then restart the computer."

I checked to make sure all the connections were secure. I replaced the power supply. The computer still will not turn on. I still get the blinking amber light with the 2 3 4 error lights.

What can I do to make this work?

When I contacted Dell they said that since my warranty expired that I would need to pay to talk to someone about what part I needed to replace. I'm really hoping someone can help out here.

Dell E510
    Pentium D 820 Dual Core (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
    1 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2x512M)
    Windows XP PRO SP3

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

My 1st guess would be that the motherboard has failed. The E510 used a BTX form factor board that had a high rate of failure. All Dell systems that used BTX form factor boards had a high rate of failure after 3 years or so. Intel discontinued further developement of BTX form factor boards in 2006.

Here is another thread in this forum at the present time where a Dell BTX board is being replaced.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/994665-pin-diagram-dell-e520-mobo.html

3. slimpickins66

slimpickins66 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. Is there any way to confirm motherboard failure before I buy a new one? The light on the motherboard still turns on when I power it up, but nothing works.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    if nothing is working its possible that it is the board. it might not be worth fixing since the computer is 5 or 6 yrs old and boards arent cheap.unless u really want to keep the computer it might be easier just to get a newer used or brand new computer.hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/994766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice