1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell E510 Sound is garbled

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dawgfan, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dawgfan

dawgfan Thread Starter

This E510 was bought last Jan and is now out of warranty. During the first year I have had at least 4 occasions where the sound becomes garbled. The first time Dell CS took remote control of the pc and repaired a file (but did not save the repari file to the pc for future use). The second time Dell CS did not know what I was talking about when I referenced the first repair method and a system restore was required to fix the problem. The third time Dell CS had a tech come out and replace the motherboard to fix the problem. Now that the waranty has expired, the pc did it again last night. Sound on boot up was garbled and WMP and iTunes could not play music. At first it was garbled, then no sound at all. Sound alternates at best.

To me, it sounds like a software or driver problem. Maybe even something in the BIOS. I am no tech and seek any advice at this point. I am ready to make an anchor of this pc as it has hacked me off too many times.

Help please?!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You might see if a driver update/replacement helps. Here is a page with information on identifying the sound hardware in your particular unit and download links.

The bottom of the page also has links to user forums on the Dell site.

EDIT: If they replaced your motherboard, I wonder if the new one has different sound hardware than what was on the original board and listed on the invoice?

3. dawgfan

dawgfan Thread Starter

We (Dell CS and I) have replaced all drivers with no success. I don't think the sound HW is different, cause we made no SW updates afterward and it worked for a short time. Whole thing beats me...except for the one 'repair' file I cannot find out about. Have a friend who will install a different soundcard and bypass onboard one from factory if nothing else is found before then.

4. DellCAJohn

DellCAJohn Account Closed

My name is John, and I work at Dell headquarters in Round Rock. I believe the other file the original technician was replacing was the chipset drivers: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...1&vercnt=2&formatcnt=1&libid=27&fileid=150654

We had a similar case in our forums, and this appeared to resolve the problem http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_audio&thread.id=72779 . If this fix does NOT resolve the problem, feel free to give me a shout.

[email protected]
    ATTN: John

I'd be more than happy to help!

John
    Dell Customer Advocate

5. dawgfan

dawgfan Thread Starter

I hope you are right and I will try this asap after I get home tonight. I've posted this same problem many times at the Dell site, but no resolve to date. Thanks for noticing this and I'll report back after I try.

6. DellCAJohn

DellCAJohn Account Closed

Very good. I'll be waiting, hopefully for some good news. I've also engaged the forum team, as apparently you've posted this on the Dell forum as well.

7. dawgfan

dawgfan Thread Starter

8. dawgfan

dawgfan Thread Starter

Couldn't wait until tonight. Installed the file at lunch and sound is still garbled when I hear the startup sound after reset, WMP and iTunes.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice