1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell E510 won't start...lights on front 3 and 4 and a battery symbol..and silencel...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HollyG, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Computer was running fine. Hadn't used it in about a week and I went to power it on and I get 3-4 odd buzzing sounds, no drive start up sounds, and monitor doesn't start. Start button light is still on, and a #3 and #4 and battery symbol lights remain on and then all is silent. This sounds serious.
    This is a Dell Dimension E510 running Wins XP;

2. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

The beep code is 6 long beeps and it is a steady green light. I read through Dell Help and it says to run Dell Diagnostics, but how can you run it if it doesn't even start.

3. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

I will try this first. Read further said it may be the memory so I will go through the memory modules and see it I can find one that might be giving the problem.

4. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Ok I took one memory module out, and the system started and is running something "Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "") from file record segment 139993........... Then it says deleting an index entry from index $0 of file 21448...then Inserting an index entry from index ....then correcting error in index....." Does this mean I found the faulty memory, or is it just running through this because it's resetting itself on the current memory? I don't know much about this memory stuff, just how to replace it. After it ran this check the computer restarted and went to the sign in page. Then it restarted itself again before I could sign in. Then it kept going through start up then the Wins xp screen then restarting again. So now I took out another memory module, so it's running on 1 GB, and it's now running hrough the CHKDSK verfiying files stages.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you don't find a defective memory stick my first guess would be a failed motherboard. All Dell machines that used BTX form factor motherboards had a very high failure rate. The "classic" symptom of failure was that the fan would run wide open with no display, however the scenario you described of 6 long beeps was also a symptom of board failure.

Intel discontinued further developement of the BTX form factor, so if the board is defective, finding a "new" board may be a problem although I'm sure there may still be some around.

6. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Thanks. Well after I took out the second memory module, and it ran through that check, it started right up. I shut it down and restarted it again and it started fine, however it is making this loud grinding electrical type sound. It seems like it's the bottom at the front which is the Seagate Barracuda HD because when I touch it it's vibrating. Every time I go to another app or program it starts up, then it stops and is quiet again. Now I don't know if that's normal because I've been hearing it like this for a long time now and never had any problems.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

It's normal to feel a hard drive moving because the platters are spinning, however a "grinding" sound is not good and may indicate a worn bearing in the drive.

I would make a back up of all my important documents and keep them backed up until the problem source is ascertained.

8. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Thanks. Yes, I am always backing up my documents, because you never know when something read bad can happen which I thought did today. So far it's sounding fairly quiet. I will order more memory and hope it's okay for a little while.

9. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Well I've been using my computer the last 2 days and it's been working fine. Then tonight I was online and all of a sudden I heard a lot pop in my speakers and it shut off and restarted on its own. Once my desktop loaded I got the system recovered from a serious error send error report popup. Then the window about troubleshoot a problem with a device driver came up. Not sure what that was about, and if it is related to the memory problem I thought I had.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Holly, unfortunately on the Dimension E510's I had in my shop of the years I never had the opportunity to observe the operation of the machine before board failure occurred. I did have a couple of customers say that the machines became somewhat "erratic" before board failure occurred and a couple of others just stated that the machine seemed to be operating normally and then when they turned it on all they had was a "roaring" fan with no display.

On one of those machines, I did finally get on to boot properly and seemed to operate normally until I did a restart and then the "roaring" fan with no display began again. I would just keep your important documents backed up and use the machine as best you can.

I still "lean" toward the board being the problem because of the known history of BTX form factor board problems in Dell machines. The problems were not limited to the E510, but occurred on all Dell machines with BTX boards and most seemed to occur when the machines were 3-4 years old.

With no schematics available for the these boards I was never able to determine exactly which component or components were responsible for the failures.

Good luck with the machine.

11. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Ok I will see what happens. I got it in 2005 so that was a pretty long run. So if the motherboard goes I should just get rid of it or fix it? I've heard all those stories where people can go in your HD and retrieve your info, or do I just remove the HD.

12. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Is it something I could try to do myself as I've installed other parts, optical drives, ethernet in real old computer, memory, things like that. I am not afraid. LOL

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the hard drive is not damaged you can purchase an adapter to recover the data through USB, or install the drive in another desktop machine, or install the drive in an external enclosure and use the drive as an external storage hard drive. If the drive was original equipment in the machine I would forget about placing it in an enclosure and using it for external storage due to its age. On the machines I had in with failed motherboards the drive was not damaged and data recovery was no problem, however they were not as old as your machine.

I wouldn't consider repairing the machine IF the board fails, since no one to the best of my knowledge has built new BTX form factor boards since 2006 or early 2007. If the board fails, and you can find a new replacement Dell board at a reasonable price then a fix may be worthwhile.

14. HollyG

HollyG Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help and your input. I put the new RAM in so I'll see how it goes.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1019610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice