1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell flat screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ehunt, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ehunt

ehunt Thread Starter

I was given a Dell 19" flat screen and hooked it up (VGA only) to an older HP pc running 98se. It says "analog signal" or something like that and so I assume I can only use this monitor with a newer pc, like my laptop. please advise and thanks for your time....

2. Flags

Flags

No, it means that you have hooked it up using a 15 pin D sub so you have only Analog playback. If you want Digital, you have to hook it up using a DVI cable.

There is no reason that you cannot use it on an older system.

3. ehunt

ehunt Thread Starter

I don't think I have DVI on the back of the pc. If not, do I need to get a DVI video card installed? I read somewhere that Dell has a choice betw. digital/analog monitors...

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Does the monitor have a dvi port? If it does then you need a dvi cable and a card that takes both dvi and analog which most newer better cards do.

5. ehunt

ehunt Thread Starter

Yes, monitor has DVI and I have cable. Just need to get a card....thanks for the help.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Truthfully, it should work fine if it has a VGA connection. What would be the point of putting the VGA connection on the monitor if you couldn't use it?

I have a number of monitors with both digital and VGA connections, and they work with either connection.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well you and I have had our differences on this JW, but when it comes to the video, I find the dvi a huge improvement from analog, though in all fairness recent analogs have gotten better.

8. JohnWill

I'm not arguing the quality, just the functionality. If you only have a VGA output from your machine, the decision is made for you.

9. jackdw

jackdw

No, I thought the idea of flastscreens having VGA and DVI was to cater for this situation where you only have one card with VGA out.

10. JohnWill

That is the point of the VGA connection. I suspect an older W98 machine, as well as most laptops, have only a VGA connection.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice