1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 1100 -- Trying to get on internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robrunner, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robrunner

robrunner Thread Starter

I have an old Dell Inspiron 1100 that was given to me. Reformatted Windows XP and now I can't get on the internet through the Ethernet adapter from Cablevision. On device manager the following drivers are missing: Multimedia audio controller; PCI Modem; and USB Controller (although I downloaded a Broadcom USB controller). Would this effect internet access? If so, how do I remedy? I have already been to Dell's driver downloads and don't see these drivers. Thanks.

2. bigbear

bigbear

You need to download the motherboard drivers which will include the ethernet driver.
    Make sure you install the chipset drivers FIRST

3. robrunner

robrunner Thread Starter

Where can I find motherboard drivers and chipset drivers?

4. arknorth

arknorth

From right here - http://support.dell.com/support/dow...=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

The 1100 is a Semi-Dell, meaning that this was one of those machines Dell had made for them (outsourced). The same beastie was available as an HP 1000 series and my very own Gateway Solo 1400.

You can download the drivers to a flash drive and redeposit them into the 1100 through the USB - Save them to a file on your desktop for easy access - once loaded, move the file off your desktop to somewhere safe, like a Dell file in My Documents or in the Programs file in Windows.

A-N

5. robrunner

robrunner Thread Starter

Thank you. I have been to the 1100 driver location at Dell's website on several occasions, but which specific drivers do I need. Don't want to download all 64 drivers if not necessary.

6. arknorth

arknorth

What you're going to have to do is find out which ethernet adaptor they installed into your computer - find your My Computer link and right click on it - choose Properties when the selction window opens.

In the Properties screen, choose Hardware.

In the Hardware screen, choose Device Manager

At this point, when the Device Manager window pops up, anything with a yellow ! Yield Sign needs a driver that will be found on the Dell site. Click on each iten and see what description they give - this will tell you which driver you need to get off the Dell list.

A-N

PS - In most cases, you will find it is the driver that Dell marks as 'Recommended'.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice