Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wilber256

First please forgive me if this is out of place, I could not find a category for my problem.

Hello, I have a refurbished dell 13 7000 series laptop. Therefore it does not have a service tag sticker on the bottom. My problem(s) is the DC power Jack/receptacle broke off the Motherboard when I attempted to plug in a new replacement DC short cable. The Jack off the MB went into outer space somewhere to be never found.

Can I order a replacement DC MB Jack receptacle and solder it in the place of the missing one? If so do you know where I can purchase one? Or can I cut the plug off the Jack cable and solder the wires straight to the MB? If so where can I find the position placement of each wire? Does the DC MB Jack have pin holes where to desolder, drop in replacement Jack then resolder?
If not then can the Jack cable end be cut off and solder the wires straight to the top of the MB? There is very little space between the pin positions on the MB in relation to each other so from top would be impossible for a shaky hand like mine. Maybe electric contact glue? I fear the distance between the pins on the MB will not allow any type of repair from the top side.

I ordered two used MB’s from eBay and both were defective, one video, one keyboard so I am sorta shy to try again. Being a disabled senior on a very limited income I can’t afford a new MB or the $129 + ones. I had to save to buy the Jack cord and a new battery now the battery is down and no way to charge it. I hope it is still good but if not I will use the laptop on AC and save up for another battery.
I spent quite sometime in the hospital and finally came home and after a period of time gained enough strength to tackle this endeavor. The laptop worked fine until the Jack broke off so the Jack and possibly another battery and I am good to go.
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions or recommendations.

Best Regards

blues_harp28

Hi Wilber256, it seems I removed your post as possible spam.
I apologize for that and it has now been reinstated and this will move it to the top of the list.

Wilber256

Thanks Tech Support Guy. One can’t be careless these days.
regards
Wilber256

Wilber256

Hello, Thanks for the reply. There is nothing on the bottom of the laptop. Dell sent me a refurbished laptop when my new one started acting crazy, they tried to fix it online several times.
But instead of sending me a new laptop, which mine was two months a old they sent a referb. If I had wanted a second hand computer I would have bought one and save a few hundred bucks.

But anyway the part that is broken is on the motherboard itself, it’s where the Jack cord/cable plugs on the MB. The plastic cover and pins went flying while I was attempting to change out a defective cord/cable and either pushed to hard or the connections were not soldered very good. Unfortunately I was outside in the sunshine so to better see what I was doing. Last I saw of the Jack it was headed south and landed in the lawn somewhere.

It is probably a combination of the two but being a disabled senior I don’t have a lot of strength. The pad is left intact I just need to
a.) find a cheap bad motherboard and desolder the part off and solder it on my MB.
b.) cut the end of the Jack cable off to expose wires and solder them directly to the MB that is in the computer.
c.) Order a new board.
a.) Is out of the question because I shake so bad I can no longer solder.
b.) See a.
c.) Being a disabled senior I can’t afford a new MB. I ordered 2 used separate MB’s
from eBay and both were bad, one was video the other was no keyboard.
I suppose I should have taken the MB Jack off of one of those but $100 for a part seems out of bounds for me.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your reply and help. It is very much appreciated.

Couriant

James
If you need the service tag, and it's the original motherboard or a motherboard that the tech put the right service tag, then you can find that in the BIOS by pressing F2 at boot up. It will be on the first option (System Information).

So I am assuming you meant the connector on the board, not the port itself (the black port next to the 1)

1619467376195.png

If so then no, I don't believe there is a part for you to get easily.

You say this is a refurbished machine, but a machine that replaced a brand new machine (2 months old)? What was wrong with the new machine that they had to replace it? It should have been a new one, or a machine within the same time period. Even so, the warranty from the new machine would have transferred so unless you broke that piece, it will be under warranty.

Wilber256

Couriant, Thanks for the reply. Yes the computer was between 2-3 months old. I even purchased a 3 year extended warranty. Dell would not send me a new machine, that is there policy. I raised He** but to no avail. They told me that was what they did anytime a machine is replace.

Yes, the port that broke off is at number one in the photo.
I can’t boot the machine up because the new battery I purchased is grave yard dead. I bought it and the Jack cable at the same time In Oct.
But I became very ill and spent many, many days in the hospital so with the broken Jack cord receptacle broken off the board there was no way of charging it and it is down, probably for the count.

After I came home in mid March and got to where I could stand for a few minutes I checked on it and the keyboard light would come on for about 1 second then back off so there is not enough power to boot up to run a check to find the service tag number.

I bough this 2 in 1 with all Dell could put in it, thinking it would probably out last me but it surprised me. All equipment is subject to failure and that‘s not what bothers me.
The fact I paid for a new machine and got a refurb and the way Dell acted about it is what boils my blood. I went as high up in Dell as they would let me go, supposedly the boss of the mangers that manage the service techs. The buck stopped there.

I told the guy that he had to answer to someone and asked to speak to that person.
He refused saying I was as high up as I could go without being a upper management executive that sits on the board.
I had trouble with the Jack where the dc power supply plugs into the computer and sent it to Dell for repair.

Dell decides it was not there fault that I had dropped it on the plug which is total BS. The only way they would fix it was to pay for the repair although I purchased 3 year extended warranty and the manf warranty still applied they refused to do anything.

I suppose that was Dell’s way of getting rid of a trouble maker which they did. I called tech support one time and they told me they did not have a record of me or the refurb computer. I could not afford to buy this pos outright so I financed it through Dell so they got to pour it to me twice. Never another Dell for this old man.
I can’t afford a new board, don’t trust a used one and can solder the wires onto the board. All because I purchased a cheap built machine.
sorry for the rant. Thanks for your help.

Couriant

James
I wish you the best of luck in all aspects (health and computers) You may want to considering making a complaint the BBB because from what you have described, is certainly not customer friendly. I have been dealing with dell for a while now (business not consumer) and I haven't seen anything like that.

Wilber256

Thank you, I suppose to much water has gone under the bridge. So I just lick my wounds and carry on. I have used Dell several times through the years especially after the cow died and Dell filled the void. I have used HP, Toshiba among others.
I stated to order parts from different suppliers and build them myself. That was back when a DX 40 was the top of the line with 56k of ram, then A hard drive wow how things have changed and without me.

I changed fields so everything is Greek to me. 8088 was a bad momma jammer till the technology changed. All for the good I just let the world pass me by.
Thanks for your input. I really do appreciate it.

texasbullet

Ramon
Dell as well as other companies always sends you a refurbished product. They never send you a new one. I have been there frequently. The only place I got my money back for a warranty is with Walmart insurance.

Wilber256

Hello. Texas bullet, Thanks for your input. Yeah I do believe you are correct In your statement. From what I gather This is true, the big wig at Dell told me that and I had To do Some research but found the other guys do it to.
sounds like a opportunity for one of the companies to step up and stand above the rest.

I would buy X brand knowing they would replace with likewise computer if the computer or company was the problem. That would force the other guys to follow suit or loose business. In fact I would buy another Dell if I was assured if it failed due to poor quality they would replace with new likewise even thought I go bit handling that snake one I would pick it up again, but only for that reason.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online