1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 15 3000

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by debjerry, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

I would like to turn the touch pad off, but can not figure out how. Does anybody have any sugesstions?

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with 8.1 op

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are using a USB mouse, go to mouse properties in the control panel, select the mouse heading, there should be a check box labeled disable touchpad if external mouse detected. Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    If the previous method does not work, On most Dells, the quickest way is to hold down the Fn key and press F3.

I had some problems with either method, and finally went for a cruder way of having a piece of cardboard, hinged with cellotape, over the darn thing.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have been tempted to use the Hammer Method before but that is definitely counter-productive:)

5. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    :pLOL. Guaranteed to work though! Thought?? Would you call that a hardware application???

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Yeah, real HARD application. I had an Asus laptop for about 3 days that I wanted to use my 3 pound sledge on. Came with win 8, when I did the 8.1 update it failed miserably and could not ever boot it again. Got my money back and bought a Dell with 8.1 already on it. Will never buy another Asus laptop. :p

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As Dave indicated in post # 3 most laptops now (last seven years or so) have a switch just above the touchpad and/or a Function key combination to toggle the touchpad off/on.

8. debjerry

debjerry Thread Starter

Thanks guys I will try them and let you know.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!