1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dell Inspiron 15-3552 - No Ethernet port

Discussion in 'Networking' started by exceller, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

My Dell Laptop has no Ethernet port.

Which connection adaptor would be best suited for Ethernet.

HDMI or USB ?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You need USB to Ethernet, the HDMI adapter is for sending Graphics over Ethernet cable.

How fast is your Internet connection ?

3. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Thanks

Down 18Mbps Up 1.3 Mbps from router data
    WiFi Down 15Mbps Up 1,1Mbps

I don't use internet for games, films or downloading data, just general browsing.

Sometimes my WiFi is so slow even though the router is 60cm away, even tried either of the 2 WiFi channels (2.4GHz or 5GHz). Its a Sky ER110 router, previously had a BT router in exactly same place and had no issues even outdoors.
    Even tried resetting Winsock with no real effect.

Previous laptops I could checkout either using the Ethernet connection.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Post the service code of the laptop please, should on a label underneath and/or in the Bios. From that we should be able to find the exact hardware you have in it, including the wireless adapter.

5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I too am curious as to which Dell model it is. I don't remember ever seeing a Dell laptop without an RJ-45 connection. I'm sure that you searched thoroughly and it does not have one. So please follow @managed advice and post the service key.

6. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Service Tag: HP9VPJ2

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for the service tag, unfortunately looking it up online doesn't show which wireless adapter is fitted, it only shows Bluetooth !

It seems there could be a problem with software called SmartByte that Dell include with some laptops, so please uninstall it if you have it on yours, then restart the laptop and check the internet speed.

If the above doesn't help please look in Device Manager under Network Adapters and tell us what is listed there.

8. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Network.jpg

just looked up the Wireless adaptor, its a single band device so stuck with the 2.5GHz channel

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  9. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Well, you can call Dell and see if they have a Dual Band card that'll fit in that machine. Or, if you have an available USB port, then you can purchase a 5GHz dongle. They're fairly cheap whereas Dell is on the expensive side.

10. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

thanks,

for now I've ordered a Ethernet/USB 3 adaptor as I use my laptop alongside the router.

11. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    That makes sense. But, as the Wifi dongles are around $ 10-15, you may want to eventually get one. You never know when you have to use it. If you get one? Then probably never. If you don't? Then all the time. Just life's irony.;)

12. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Thing is, not many places where I use my laptop has 5G capability currently. But maybe in the future when routers improve with its suppliers of broadband services.

As I use SKY for Broadband and Satellite TV, they supply the router which I have has Dual Bands for my level of Broadband speed subscription.

Some places have free WiFi which really is not worth the trouble and other places I can use USB3 adaptor.

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Out of curiosity did you find out if the SmartByte program was installed ?

14. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Ok. Sounds reasonable to me. I'm glad you got the issue, if not solved, then figured out.

15. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Yes it was and now uninstalled.

thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!