1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 1525 Keyboard Erratic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bkford, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

I've already contacted Dell, and they tried some things, but nothing worked to resolve the issue. The keyboard is acting crazy. I can be typing along just fine (any software that allows me to type), and suddenly the letters I am typing will insert themselves somewhere else on the screen--either in the middle of a previous line of text, or even in a box such as the font size; and/or the window in which I am typing will suddenly disappear (minimized, as if I had clicked on the minimize icon). Any ideas what this could even be related to?

I have Windows XP Pro, SP3. This problem does not happen with my external keyboard/mouse.

2. Sponsor

3. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

then there is an issue with keyboard itself then. If unistalling and reinstallign the drivers for yoru keyboard don't work then it will need to be replaced.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    This is something that sounds like you need to disable your touchpad and use an external mouse. Sometimes what happens is we touch the touch pad with parts of our hands or wrist while keyboarding. This moves the cursor around and can cause just what you are describing. The fact that you have no such problem while using external keyboard and mouse, seems to confirm my suspiscion. I usually keep my touch pads disabled just for this reason.

5. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Is this something I can do myself without disturbing anything else on my laptop?

6. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Oh, my. The entire reason for buying a laptop is because I have terrible neck/shoulder problems that are made much worse by using a mouse. I have much less pain if I can use a touchpad. I really thought I had determined that I for sure was not touching anything, such as other keys or the touchpad, while typing. If I knew for sure that was the problem (inadvertenly touching the touchpad), maybe I just need to train myself not to touch it.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    yes you can disable it yourself, usually in control panel system-device-manager or under control panel mouse. You can give it a try and see if this corrects your problem. if do you can re-enable it, then go about training yourself tostay away from the touchpad except for intentional use.

8. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Sorry--my question got posted in the wrong order...when I was asking if it was something I could do myself, I MEANT to ask that question regarding the suggestion to uninstall/reinstall the keyboard drivers.

9. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

Actually, this is a good suggestion, to disable the touchpad as a troubleshooting technique. If it does not happen with the touchpad disabled, that's the answer! Thanks.

10. bkford

bkford Thread Starter

I read some posts on a Dell group about keyboard lagging...there seems to be a direct correlation between keyboard lagging and MediaDirect. "Dell laptops with MediaDirect - to eliminate keyboard typing lag and hesitating In Windows XP...In System Configuration Services - STOP PCMService.exe

I couldn't find PCMService in the services tab, but I did find it in msconfig/startup. I disabled it, to at least give it a try. Does it make sense that something that causes lagging could also cause erratic jumping around?

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I guess it could be possible, but if you are not experiencing lag then I would not bet on that one. I could be wrong though, after all I am not really an expert.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/779249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice