1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 1525 Vista upgrade to Windows 7 = crash dump

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Parker707, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Parker707

Parker707 Thread Starter

Dell Inspiron 1525 with Vista. Bought Windows 7 and followed all the online and book instructions to install.
    Now when I turn the computer on, the pretty Windows 7 screen opens and asks for my password then immediately turns to a black screen where all this information is scrolling so fast I can barely read it.
    I can see something about Windows did not shut down properly...and crash dump files...

HELP!??!?!?

I can get into Safe mode but "run windows normally" takes me through the same loop as above over and over.

What am I missing here!?!!??

Parker

2. Hughv

Hughv

What results did you get from the Upgrade adviser?
    This machine is not on the Win7 compatible list.
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_360683&isLegacy=true

"If your computer is not listed in the tables below, the computer may not be compatible with the system requirements of Windows 7 and has not been tested for basic functionality. Installing Windows 7 is not recommended by Dell. "

3. Parker707

Parker707 Thread Starter

I did not read that, instead I have only read about hundreds of other Dell Ins 1525 users having no issues with the upgrade.
    I did install and run the Windows Upgrade Advisor on the laptop, it recommended the deletion of 3 items and so I did that before the upgrade.
    If I could get the screen to pause when it's going through the crash dump thing I could read what it says, the only thing I've read is "windows did not shut down properly...."

4. Hughv

Hughv

There are many configurations for this laptop.
    Use your service tag to locate specific drivers, especially video.
    Run the hardware diagnostic and dxdiag.

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I have a 1525..intel based..7 is working ok
    That was a clean install however

You could try uninstalling your dell video driver and see what happens....
    windows will then use a generic driver then you can get the correct driver from windows update.

The dell video driver didnt work very well with early versions of 7

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I did a clean install of Win 7 Pro on my 1525, Got rid of Vista and the Factory Restore partition, the only thing I have a problem with is the Internet Quick button on the Bezel above the keyboard. All the other Media Control buttons there work properly. And the Vista Drivers work properly.

8. Parker707

Parker707 Thread Starter

Well, I have tried everything, downloaded drivers, deleted drivers, tried to reinstall, now I can't get even get to Safe Mode.... so frustrated. I really wish I hadn't made this decision !!!!

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

You can boot to f8 and try last know good configuration.....if no luck then

I would use a linux live cd..boot to it then copy my user files over.
    Then use your vista disk to install vista....then the upgrade to 7
    I wouldnt put any drivers on after you get vista on...wait until you have 7 installed.

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    According to the dell website for support drivers and downloads for that particular model of computer there is no windows 7 drivers listed at all. only vista and windows xp.so whether you buy an upgrade version or a full version of windows 7 trying to find the correct drivers for it may be a lesson in futility.you might just have to use vista or xp.the only other thing that you can try is using the vista drivers for windows 7 but it may not work very well if at all.if its not on the compatible list from dell its not going to run right with windows 7 installed.

11. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I have the same unit...works fine here

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Well then hopefully he can get his to run right also.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice