1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 1525 Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by unlucky_laptop, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unlucky_laptop

unlucky_laptop Thread Starter

My four year old tossed my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop across the room today, and since then, it isn't booting.

It reaches Vista's loading screen, where you see the moving bar and "© Microsoft Corporation," but it doesn't go past that point. Initially, I heard a clicking sound.

I tried booting it in Safe Mode, but the same thing happened. I also tried booting it from the Vista DVD, but got the same problem.

I took the hard drive out and looked at it, and couldn't see any visual damage.

I ran the Windows Diagnostics tool, and got the following error code:

Error code 0142

Error code 2000-0142

Hard drive 1 - self test unsuccessful status 79

I've seen reports of people having similar problems that were fixed by a replacement hard drive, but I'm wondering if I can get the data off of this one first. Is it worth trying to find an external USB drive enclosure, or is the drive too damaged?

And how can I get my laptop running again? It's not under warranty anymore.

Thanks for any help!

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I would buy an external wd passport harddrive.
    Take the hard drive out of your laptop...2 screws on botom of the unit.
    set it down and take a picture to remember the orientation of the black plastic pull cover.
    Take the wd external apart..it will slide out..its a little tricky the first time.
    now switch the covers between the 2 hard drives and put the usb adapter on the old hard drive and slide evevything back in the case about 90 percent of the way.
    push the hdd into the laptop...be sure to put the pull handle back on.
    Use you windows dvd and put on windows
    then the drivers from the drivers and utilities disk

now plug in your old had via the usb port and see if you can read the files...alot of times you can recover many of the files

Note..when booting the vista dvd
    hit power start tapping f12 light and fast
    then select the dvd rom from the list to boot from

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!