1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dell Inspiron 1545 plugged in, not charging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fifuzi, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fifuzi

Fifuzi Thread Starter

When the laptop is plugged in, it does not charge the battery. The battery is new so surely the battery is not the issue. Unfortunately, the battery is at 1% now so when the adaptor is taken out, the laptop immediately shuts off. I have tried these steps to no avail:

- Shut Windows down
    - remove ac adpater plug from computer
    - remove battery
    - Now hold down the power button on the laptop for 30 seconds
    - Put the battery back in
    - Plug the ac adapter back in
    - Turn on computer

So I was wondering if anyone could help me eliminate some possibilities as to why it is not charging before i take it into the repair shop or purchase an external battery charger or turn it into a desktop. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Two possibilities come to mind for me:
    1. The AC adapter might be broken, and it's not providing a proper charge.
    2. The DC jack which the adapter plugs into is broken. This may entail a simple solder job, or might even be broken off the motherboard complete.

Fifuzi likes this.
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    We don't know the description of your laptop nor the description of its new battery.

It's possible that you replaced the laptop's original battery with an incompatible battery.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with post #2.

It's possible the power adapter and/or the laptop's charging port is damaged.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    With battery and charger connected have a look in the Bios (tap F2 immediately after switching on) and see what it says about the Battery.

Are you using the original Dell charger ?

I'm typing this on a 1545 !

5. Fifuzi

Fifuzi Thread Starter

Hi sorry, the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545 (in the title) and i ran bios as u suggested and it said battery was normal but adaptor was unknown?. The new battery is a GW240 replacement and the adaptor is the original.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You can try this, it might work :-

If the above didn't help the adapter laptop connector plug should have a thin pin in the centre which tells the laptop it's a 'genuine' charger. Yours could be damaged or not connecting properly. If you can solder you can try fixing it like this :-

Otherwise a new charger should fix it, even a cheap non-Dell one should work ok as long as it is advertised to work with the 1545. That's assuming the power socket on the laptop is ok, since the laptop works using the adapter it should be.

Fifuzi likes this.
  7. Fifuzi

Fifuzi Thread Starter

Awesome thank you all for your responses!

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Let us know how you get on.

9. Fifuzi

Fifuzi Thread Starter

Hi guys sorry for the delay but thank you all for the replies. The problem was my A/C adaptor but before I could dimantle and investigate furthur I went to near-by repair service shop to test the laptop on a charger (which worked!). In the end it cost me $20 (NZ currency) to get a second-hand charger that was an original. It would have cost me more if I had not recieved the help from you all so thank you all for helping a poor student out. Many many thanks.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's great and you're welcome. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice