1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell inspiron 1545 wont boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by baconator, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baconator

baconator Thread Starter

My dell inspiron 1545 wont boot up. It will only show me the dell logo with the options of pressing F2 and F12 then it goes on black. Then the same messeage appears:

"The AC power adapter wattage and typecannot be determinded.
    The battery may notcharge.
    The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.

Please connect a dell 65W AC adapter r greater fr best system performance.

To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter.

Strike the F3 key (before the F1 or F2 key) if you do not want to see power warning messages again.

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility
    Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics."

And when I press F1, to continue, it sometimes shows me this message:

BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot.

Most of the time it goes black, sometimes with a blingking under dash "_". And sometimes it gives me severak white stripes, either 1, or 3 accros the screen.

Just recently it gave me this message:

Window boot manage

Windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
    1. Insert your windows installation disc and resart your computer.
    2. Choose your language setings, and then click "next"
    3. Click "repair computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system admininstratr or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD
    info: The wndows boot configuration data file is missing required information

Now I do have the installation disc and did put it in, but doesn't work because I can't restart. It doesn't let me go any further after that. I've done more, but I'll put a little of my history before.

Yesterday it was working well. I used it like I usually do. The only unusual thing was that for several days my computer wasn't able to install updates, I don't recall the exact names but they were for microsoft and explorer 9, something like that. I've been installing, restarting, and trying to get my computer to install no matter what. Anyways, I was using it and became sleepy, so I just put my laptop to hivernate, like I usually do (don't know if that was my mistake). I woke up and did some errands, I came in the afternoon and turn it on to continue using it. Well the screen never changed from black. So I turn it off and on again and noticed it would't go to my loging in screen. So I turn on and off until I got the first message from above, about my ac not being recognized. My AC is from the laptop. A year of 2 ago it stopped charging the battery, and only charges it when it's completely dead, but never had an issue like this before.
    The battery actually charged and I thought that if I used it with no power adapter and only the battery but it only goes to the black screen, no messages, nothing. Just a while later, after turning it off and on again, I got the third message, to insert the disc and restarting. I looked for it and found it and put it in, but I pressed enter before the disc ( I think that was my mistake?) and once again it took me to the black screen. So now I don't know hot to run the disc if I can't restart it.
    Yesterday I also ran the computer diagnoses test and it passed, then it logged me to several other options (don't remember what), so I pressed the symptom tree, something like that, and it gave me the option to check on a particual part of the computer, I click on computer wont start and it went well until it got to the SATA ones, it failed every single one. I ran a diagnosis again (Pre-boot System Assesment) and this time it stopped on the self test and read:

Error code 0146
    Msg: error code 2000-0146
    Msg: Hard drive 0 -self test log contains previous errror(s)
    The given error code and message can be used by Dell technical support to help idagnose the problm.Do you want to continuetesting? yes or no or retry?

I continued the test and it passed the rest fine.
    Then it led me to several options, Test memory, Test system, Exit. (I'm actually redoing the diagnosis so now I see the options I saw before)
    I pressed test memory and it was passing everything when it suddenly shut down.
    So I start it again and ran the diagnosis test again...
    Pressed the Harware diagnostics...
    Gave me 4 options, Express Test, Extended Test, custom Test, and symptom tree.
    Last time I pressed the symptopm Tree and checked on the "Cannot booot the OS" and Hard Drive errors, and it failed all SATA Disk tests: Confidense test, device quick check, drive self test (long and short), read test, seek test, Smart test, Start unit iddle command, stop unit standby command, and verify test.
    I also did the "System wil not run off the battery" test and it failed the primary battery Bay- AC Adapter info test.
    I also took the extended test and it passed everything. Then express test and failed the adaptor test and the SATA disk test.

It sounds like I need a new charger, but I want to be sure it is the battery before I go out and waste my money on it. Like I said before, I always had the same adapter and even if it didn't charge the battery, it never gave me such problems. And I want to know what's this about my laptop failing all Hard Drive errors. Is it the hard drive the cause? Or the battery? Can I save my laptop? Or should I just stop and call it dead? How can I reinstall what my third message said when I can't restart? So many questions. I would like to know if my laptop has a chance, and if I do, what are the steps to revive it? If not, then let's call it quits. :'(

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I probably just missed it above, but, briefly ...

a. What happens with the battery removed?

b. What happens with charged battery and no AC?

3. baconator

baconator Thread Starter

@Terrynet
    a. When battery is removed, it gives me the same messages, battery wont charge, image corrupted, etc.
    b. When it's only on battery and no ac then it gives me no messages and goes to black.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Beyond my experience, but I think that (a) means the AC "brick" is defective. And maybe the power troubles have also caused the OS to become corrupted or has caused other components (e.g., hard drive) to become defective.

I think that (b) means the battery wasn't really charged either because it is dead or because of the AC trouble.

It might be best to take the machine to a computer shop and ask for an estimate on how much it will cost to determine the problem(s) and to then give you a repair estimate.

How about if I move this thread to the Hardware forum to see if anybody there can help?

5. baconator

baconator Thread Starter

@TerryNet, Thanks for taking the time to reply and try to help. I'll keep it in mind, since being a college student money doesn't last for long. It'll will have to wait a bit. You can move my thread if you like.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1079542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice