1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 1545

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Darlene1972, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darlene1972

Darlene1972 Thread Starter

My daughter has a Dell Inspiron that had Wireless Internet at one time. One night she shut it down and went to start it the next day and it can't find a Network. We have 2 other laptops and a desktop that can find it just fine. We have done System Restore, spent hours on the phone with the cable/internet provider and with the router company. It won't even troubleshoot. I saw a similiar question about an HP and you guys fixed it. However, this did not seem to pertain to the Dell.

I asked this question on PCTechByte, or something like that, and the only response was from someone being smart, asking how many times I dropped it out the window, etc... I am hoping you can help before we have a pretty pink Dell paperweight!

Thanks!

2. luky

luky

please post what operating system its running.
    in the meantime some suggestions i found after doing a search ....
    If it applies ....
    "Make sure the WifI switch on the side is in the "on" position. It has a little radio antenna with little commas around it."
    I also saw that the dell might not have that switch but rather a "key combo" (activation / deactivation by pressing a series of keys in specific order) :
    ** "On most dells there isnt a switch per say there is a key combo.Try Fn + F2. A little light should light up near the power button and then it should work"
    hope this helps. im sure others will chime in with more suggestions.

3. Darlene1972

Thanks for responding. It's Windows 7, sorry, forgot to add that. We have tried this Fn and F2 combo to no avail. There is no actual switch, you're right. I did just find something about Network Discovery, it is off, so I clicked on, and save. I restarted the computer and nothing. I went back in to check and it won't stay "on". Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I am just trying anything about now.

Thanks again!

4. luky

luky

okay - in device manager can you see your wireless network adapter?
    also - if so, double check that it is enabled as well as perhaps checking to see if there is an update available for it. i would prefer going to manufacturers site to check but of course you can simply select check for updates from within windows too.
    if you cant see it/ it doesnt show up in device manager try getting to it and unplugging it then re-inserting it again.

5. Darlene1972

Ok, I can go to that. It says it is enabled and has the most current update. I disabled it and reenabled it.

This is under wireless adapters:

Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card and an Ethernet Controller

6. vicks

vicks

My Dell 1545 has a key at the top (3rd key from left on top row) that activates the wireless, and it will briefly show an antennae icon on the lower right corner of the desktop when activating has lines like signals going out from it when de activatiing no lines
    You can go to Dell support and have them diagnose the trouble...on line...
    VIcks

7. luky

luky

still checking arounf for other possible suggestions.
    in the meantime have you tried re-setting the router?
    unplug the power for a little bit then plug back in.

8. Darlene1972

Yes, we have done that. Unplugged, reset, plugged back in, restarted... Even had Linksys check the router and they said it was fine. Thank you.

9. Darlene1972

Vicks, we have also checked that but I don't see anything lighting up either on the desktop or on the keyboard. Thank you.

10. vicks

vicks

If you could give me the full 1545 number and the service tag number, I may be able to find more for you.
    I know you can download a PDF manual for the computer from Dell. I will check the manual saved on my computer and see if I can find out anything else for you and post back in a few minutes...
    Vicks

11. Darlene1972

It's an Inspiron 1545, there aren't any numbers after it. The Service Tag # is J836YJ1. I read the manual on my computer and tried what I could find. I am not very computer savy (obviously) so everything I have tried is what I have read on Dell.com and other sites while trying to find help. Thank you for your time.

12. vicks

vicks

Click on Start>connect to ,Follow instructions on the screen to complete the setup.

The wireless key may have been unintentioinally pressed, deactivating your wireless connections. To turn on wireless, with the computer turned on, press the wireless key (f2) on the keyboard. You can manage the Wireless Lan using Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility from your taskbar. You can also use Windows Wireless Network Connections, accessd from the Control Panel, to manage Wireless LAN.
    This is what I found on page 29 of the manual I have saved to my computer.
    Now, I will go to Dell and see what I can find for you with the ST number.
    ;Vicks

Attached Files:

13. vicks

vicks

Darlene,
    Here is a link for the instructions for the 1397 wireless adapter. I hope it is of some help....
    http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/NETWORK/P269072/en/index.htm
    You might try going into device manager, right click on the Network adapter, select remove. immediately reboot the computer and let Windows find and reinstll the adapter.
    Let me know how any or all of this goes....
    Vicks

14. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Since this thread has absolutely nothing to do with posting tech related news and events, I've moved it to a more appropriate forum.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Fn + F2 is the normal Dell wireless toggle. And, as the others have said, there may be a blue LED to indicate on/off.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice