1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 RAM Upgrade Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akshaymjry, Feb 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akshaymjry

akshaymjry Thread Starter

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520, which, by default, has one 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM stick pre-installed. I wanted to upgrade the RAM to 8GB so that I could run games better. I purchased another 4GB DDR3 1600MHz off of Amazon and inserted it into the second slot which hasn't been used from the time of purchase (which was nearly 7 years ago).

So since I tested the second port multiple times and it wasn't showing any increase in RAM when I rebooted the computer, I tested the new stick in the first slot (which is being used by the older RAM stick), and it worked fine. But when I inserted it into the second slot, alone, it wasn't working. Neither sticks worked in the second slot, so I assumed it was an issue with the slot.

Please do let me know if I can fix this myself, or do I have to enable the second slot through software means, or anything that I've missed doing in this process.

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Please update the Inspiron 15R 5520 BIOS to A17
    https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04986135M/1/5520A17.exe

It has been purported to mitigate problems with RAM upgrade issues.
    Additionally "This update includes the latest CPU microcode that addresses the Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00115(CVE-2018-3639&CVE-2018-3640)."
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...0d8&oscode=w764&productcode=inspiron-15r-5520

NOTE: When installing a BIOS update, use the AC Power Supply and do not interrupt the process.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    akshaymjry likes this.
  3. akshaymjry

Hey man, I updated the BIOS, and tried fixing the RAM and again, experimented every slot in different ways, but I'm getting no positive result. Do I need to make any software changes in order to get it work? Or if there are other ways, please do tell me.

Thanks.

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    No. The system accepts 16GB RAM. Older versions of the BIOS inhibited the recognition of some RAM additions. There is nothing you can do in any OS as they inherit the amount of RAM from the platform and that is governed by the BIOS. Perhaps the RAM you purchased via Amazon is not the correct module. I believe it should be unbuffered, non-ecc.

Have you tried only installing the new RAM module and see if it boots with only that ?

What is the exact make and model of the RAM you obtained ?

Example:
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-15r-(5520)

5. akshaymjry

Hello again.
    I've attached the link to the RAM stick I bought. Please check it and tell me if there's any compatibility issue.

Samsung ram memory 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800,1600MHz https://www.amazon.in/dp/B009AEYBYI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_qiDbuckPkdAoI

Thanks.

6. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Crucial is saying it ought to be DDR3L (Low Voltage); but, I have seen them make that mistake numerous times in the past. However; you are going to need to search the part number from the old memory to see if it is DDR3L and, if it is, you bought the wrong part for the upgrade. Virtually none of the systems let you mix L and non-L parts.

7. akshaymjry

I have looked into the RAM specifications of my laptop. According to what I've read, the laptop has normal DDR3 slots. What I've also read is that you can insert a DDR3L into a DDR3 slot, but can't do the opposite.
    So considering this fact, it is supposed to work. Please look into this and let me know ASAP.

Thanks

8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

There is also the specific of the memory chip density and whether or not the PC supports their organization. Your safest bet is to match the existing memory module originally installed.
    The only thing I would do first is to try one of the memory modules in the other slot as you may have a problem with it rather than the memory itself.
    P.S. I have personally seen DDR3L parts not work in DDR3 PCs; but, never delved into exactly why.

9. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice