1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 1720 battery problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by starnelka, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I installed a new battery on my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop. The computer was on most of the day. After it had been shut down the battery light flashed constantly. The same thing happened the next day. Is there something else I should be doing? Surely it doesn't take that long for the new battery to charge?

I have Win7, FF, MSE and Malwarebytes. I also run Word 7.
    Can anyone advise me please?

2. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    In addition to this I now have a blue light - shaped like a suitcase with a 9 in the middle - showing up just above the keyboard. I've no idea what this means.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the on-line owner's manual for the Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop which explains what all the lights and buttons are for.

Note: It's in PDF format, so you need to have Adobe Reader installed in order to open and view it.

---------------------------------------------------------

4. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    Have you seen the size of the manual? And do you know how difficult it is to read for an elderly person like me?
    Doesn't anybody actually know the solution?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    After the on-line manual loads, look at the menu in the left column.

Click the + in About Your Computer, then click Front View, then scroll down and read the next few pages.

Click the + in Troubleshooting, then click Power Problems, then read the first 2 pages.

If you have vision issues(like I do), you can zoom in and make the pages larger.

-------------------------------------------------------

6. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    OK, been there, done that. As far as I can see if the battery light is flashing blue then it means the battery is charging. Now, this new battery has been in place 3 days and it's still flashing whether the pc is on or off. when I hover over the battery icon on the task bar it says it's charging yet yesterday it said it was fully charged so why is it taking so long? The manual says nothing about this.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you removed the power adapter from the laptop and then see what the light does?

Have you used the laptop without the power adapter to see if the battery holds a charge for a certain amount of time?

I'm not there and I'm not familiar with your model laptop, so I can't really answer your question.

------------------------------------------------------------

8. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I've run the laptop without mains for a short while and it works just fine. The battery light also goes out. I've also run the laptop with mains, having first removed the battery and, again, it works fine.
    But running with the two together makes the battery light flash again.

I didn't have this problem with my old battery so I'm wondering if this one is faulty in some way. If I hover over the battery icon it's charging all the time.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I own a Dell Precision M6300 WorkStation laptop and a Dell Latitude D830 laptop.

When the power adapter is plugged in and charging the battery, the battery light at the right rear of the keyboard stays on continually.

When the battery is fully charged, the battery light flashes off and on every few seconds.

It may work differently with your Dell Inspiron 1720.

--------------------------------------------------------

10. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    The Dell manual says that if the battery light is flashing it's charging. It shouldn't take 4 days to complete though and I'm now wondering if this is because it isn't a Dell battery. It is the right kind but not labelled Dell.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  12. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    Thanks Flavalee but that info isn't very helpful since I've already bought the battery. I'm in correspondence with the suppliers, have asked for a refund as I believe the new battery isn't suitable even though my laptop works with it installed. They're proving difficult.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    As long as the battery is charging and providing sufficient burn time without the laptop being tethered to the power adapter, I wouldn't worry too much about what the light is doing and what the taskbar icon is saying.

--------------------------------------------------------

14. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    That's one way of looking at it! Just wish I wasn't the sort of person who needs to know the whys and wherefores.
    Thanks for all your help.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

----------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice