Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop No Power

1K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  spirittoo 
#1 ·
I was watching a video when without warning the laptop lost power. I check the power cord and outlet, that was fine. No lights on the led in the front when I press the power button. I am running Win.7. Any idea what the problem is?

#3 · (Edited)
Wellsir ... that did the trick ... so I have a bad battery. I have it plugged in all the time so do I really even need a battery? I don't know about the service tag for it. Where would I find it?

#5 ·
Download and run this:

TSG System Information Utility
https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe

For example running this on my Dell Latitude E6410 shows its "Service Tag Number" aka "s/n"

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20121207150706.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: EPSON Projector Support Driver for MPP, 4 MB
Hard Drives: C: 90 GB (15 GB Free); D: 13 GB (9 GB Free); F: 128 GB (85 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., s/n /JT27SM1//
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 6222004, s/n JT27SM1
Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

#4 ·
Usually on the bottom. It's a 7 alphanumeric digit number. You can also get this by going to Command Prompt and type wmic bios get serialnumber

If you shut down the computer, remove the ac adapter, drain the power by holding the power button for about 10-15 seconds and then add the battery back in, then the AC, does it work?

#6 ·
I haven't tried putting the battery back. I really didn't see any need to because I keep it plugged in all the time.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20180731012710.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1722 MB
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (389 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0TKV96, ver A04, s/n CN4864302P2356.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 6040000
Antivirus: COMODO Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

#7 ·
I tried your s/n at Dell but it does not recognize it. That is strange because it found mine.
I ran wmic bios get serialnumber and the result is the same as the s/n. You might try that to see if you get the same result.

I found that if your battery is bad then there is no sense keeping it in your laptop. Just recycle it. Of course I couldn't do that one time because the battery was an integral part of the bottom of the laptop. Without the battery there was an open area on the bottom. Also the battery had one of the laptops feet. I recycled the battery after I replaced it.

If you have a good battery then you must keep it charged. I had a friend that took out his battery because he always kept it plugged in. A few years later he put the now dead battery back in. The laptop refused to charge it and a message said it was bad.

You can take out the battery as long as you charge it occasionally but the the problem is remembering to do it.

#8 ·
I tried your s/n at Dell but it does not recognize it. That is strange because it found mine.
I ran wmic bios get serialnumber and the result is the same as the s/n. You might try that to see if you get the same result.

It looks like the machine had its motherboard replaced. When you replace a motherboard it will ask you for the service tag but whoever set this up put the the serial code of the motherboard, not the actual service tag. The machine model itself is a few years old so more than likely no warranty.

@spirittoo I suggested putting it back in because the issue may just been a glitch and removing all power sources may fix it. If it works, then you can run the BIOS diagnostics (F12 on startup, choose Diagnostics), or even check the BIOS menu for the battery information and see if there are any issues. While it make sense to leave the battery out if you don't use the laptop away from the desk, if you have a power cut or the ac is disconnected then you will lose what you are working on. Something to think about.

#9 ·
Wellsir .... I put the battery back in and the machine still boots up. I ran it a couple of days to see if the problem come up, but so far I haven't. I will check in the bios when I get the chance.

#11 ·
You may be right about the glitch ... I ran the diagnostics and it found nothing wrong. No mention at all about the battery.

Reactions: Couriant
#13 ·
I didn't get a chance to go into the bios. The laptop would not power up again and I had to remove the battery and repeat the procedure you told me about. I guess that is a good indication there is an issue with the battery. I have the laptop plugged into a ups, so I don't know if I really need the battery.:unsure:

#15 ·
Wellsir ... I'm still having a power issue. I tried to boot up the laptop with the battery out and got nothing. I had to put in the battery, with the power plugged in, tried to boot ... got nothing ... then I removed the battery and power adapter, press the power button for 10 sec, plug the power back and it booted. Something else must be going on. The question is what?:unsure:

#17 ·
I had more trouble getting the laptop to boot up despite going through the routine I use the last time to get it to boot. I finally thought to unplug the adapter from the outlet and try it, and it booted up. The thread link provided didn't say it was definitely the mobo. The thread ended with the laptop dying, but the reason was not stated. If it is the mobo is it even possible to get a replacement?
Maybe I should leave it on and just reboot it once a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.