Solved Dell Inspiron 17R laptop wifi 6 upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BrettH

Can I upgrade the laptop to wifi 6? I want to use an intel product, but open to other brands. I have learned to get the new driver before installing wifi 6. I need the upgrade for my online consulting.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20201212125954.000000-480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (776 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 023HTX, ver A00, s/n 27H2FT1.CN4864327D0538.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 2, s/n 27H2FT1
Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

17R 5720

Thank you for your assistance.

managed

Allan
Is your modem/router WiFi 6 capable ? What wireless card is in the laptop now ?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
BrettH:
According to the service tag number in your log, you have THIS Dell Inspiron 17R 5720 17.3" laptop.
It was originally purchased in September 2012 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.
It came with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 2230 or Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 wireless device.
Is that correct?

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

BrettH

Yes, laptop is originally as you (Frank) stated, laptop has upgrades ram, ssd windows 10 home. So I should look for half mini card form wifi 6. That's what I needed, Thanks to you both!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
BrettH:

I don't believe your laptop's current wireless card supports Windows 10 64-bit.
Have you been able to get a wireless connection with it?

I don't believe the new Wi Fi 6 wireless cards come in PCIe slot format.
I believe they only come in M.2 slot format.

If you run into an issue with replacing the internal wireless card, your best option may be to use an external USB wireless adapter.
Make sure it supports Windows 10 64-bit, and make sure it's a dual band 2.4/5.0 GHz model.

--------------------------------------------------

BrettH

I confirm that the laptop is running windows 10 (winver) and has a working wifi connection. Thanks for the external usb wireless adapter suggestion, not sure why I didn't think of that .

BrettH

Hello Alan, not sure if the modem is wifi 6 or not, sorry missed that nuance. Will check to see if the modem/router is wifi 6. Thanks for the links to the card. I think it is best to access the existing card to confirm size, just to be sure.

managed

Allan
I think you could still use a WiFi 6 card even if the router is not WiFi 6, the card will be backwards compatible to the lower speeds, but that could be a waste of money depending on the price difference between the different speed cards.

Yes I agree; you should check the existing wireless card size just to be sure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts