1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dell Inspiron 2305 will not turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Novictory, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Don't know why this is happening. Six yr. old system running smoothly until about a week ago. I have diligently backed all files up using Macrium software - thought I was covered for data loss and voila! now the system won't turn on! Obviously I now cannot get to my data. The power brick does have a light on it so I have been told due to this fact, it is probably the motherboard that is dead. I ordered a new power supply which is due to arrive today -- ordered before I knew about the light indicating power supply ok. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello Novictory,

Couple of questions if I may;

Am I correct in that the LED to which you refer is on the AC adaptor, if yes, check the DC jack port on the notebook, is it loose at all, does it have a polarity pin in the centre of it, if yes, is it straight and not loose.

Are you getting no LEDs lighting up on the notebook.

Is the replacement AC adaptor that you have purchased a genuine replacement for the notebook and not a cheap import.

3. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

This is not a notebook. It is a desktop.
    The DC jack is fine.
    No led lights on desktop.
    Don't know about last item. All of this stuff comes from China it would appear. Thanks for thoughts.

4. phillpower2

phillpower2

Ah so it is an AIO (all in one) desktop that uses an AC adaptor the same as a notebook does.

All may not be lost with the new AC adaptor as the LED lighting up on the original device does not necassarily mean that it is functioning correctly, give the new adaptor a try and fingers crossed it may solve the problem, fwiw, too soon to say that the MB is bad.

What led me to believe it was a notebook, the main battery in a notebook type computer is what is commonly referred to as a power brick and not the AC adaptor which most folk call the charger.

5. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Hi-got the term brick from a guy on windows forum. looks like a brick--- anyway, the new one doesn't work either so must be MB. I have replaced the hard drive on this without too much trouble but don't know if my tech skills are up to replacing the mb.

I did learn of a cable that I can supposedly attach to the hard drive (pulled from desktop) and to a new pc to copy my data over. Will have to check that out further. Thanks again.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's called a hard disk drive (HDD) to USB adapter cable. If the HDD has lots of pins it's an IDE/Pata type otherwise it's a Sata type. Some cables can connect to both.

Ebay or Newegg will have plenty to choose from, or buy locally if you prefer.

7. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

StarTech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD
    This is what I have been told would work for a transfer. My problem is I don't know if the drive is 3.5" or 2.5". If I measure what is inside the HD enclosure, it looks like 2,5. The enclosure is 3.5. I'm not sure which is the measurement I need. Thanks so much.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You need the width of the drive itself, probably 2.5 inches from what you posted. Since you will have to take it out any way I would do that now and measure it just to be sure.

That adapter you mentioned should be fine (if it is 2.5").

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

10. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Wow- that's an amazing video. Not sure if I understand some part of it (bake in the oven, I believe he said) - so take the motherboard out and bake it or did he say just use the heat gun and apply that grease. That part was sort of confusing but I'll watch it again to clarify. Thank you so much for that. Worth a try!

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    After watching that video I think he's saying either use the heat gun just on the graphics chip or put the whole motherboard into the oven. It's very much a last resort though.

Looking online removing the wireless card fixed it for several people.

Does the power light on your computer come on at all ?

12. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Are you saying, the oven for the motherboard is the last resort? Just want to make sure - can't imagine doing that in any case. Putting the heat gun on the GPU (that's the graphics chip right?) makes a lot of sense.

Will check out the wireless card discussion. Also, the power light comes on but always amber. From what I have read, lots of these Inspirons have similar problems with power switch/amber light. But then, many pcs have problems - don't know if the Inspiron is more guilty than others. Thanks very much for your input.

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think the heatgun or oven are both last resorts.

The video shows the wireless network card, it's the one with a black and a white wire going to it, at bottom middle around 2:00 into the video. The 2 wires pull off and there's usually one screw holding the card in, when it's removed the card will pop-up like a ram stick does when it's unclipped.

14. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

They certainly qualify as last resorts or last ditch efforts. I am going to replace the 6 yr. old battery - that may or may not help. If it doesn't, guess I'll be investing in a new p.c. and purchasing that cable so I can at least save my docs from dead pc. Not sure if I want to invest another 25 bucks or so for the wireless solution. Just returned a $22 power supply which didn't solve - the usps nicked me for $13 to ship. Sure a pain. Thanks for your thoughts.

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I would try removing the wireless card, that costs nothing.
    If it works after that and you need wireless you can get a used wireless card on Ebay for a couple of $'s.

There are cheaper versions of the cable as well. Do a search for 'Sata to Usb cable' on Ebay and/or Newegg.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice