1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dell Inspiron 3847

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechSC, Dec 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Not sure of the proper place to open this thread, but I thought hardware was best. I am wanting to install a gtx 650ti into the Inspiron (title). I have changed the power supply to a rosewill 500 watt. The inspiron will post and go to windows by just using the on-board graphics, but will only show a black screen on the monitor when the 650 is supplying the signal. The monitor states that a signal is not present, but I have included a pic of the monitor when the 650 is left in, but on-board graphics is being used. I have tested the 650 in another pc and it works. I have attempted many steps and will list all I can remember below. I am just looking for any suggestions (order to do things) or if anyone else has encountered this problem? Will the Inspiron support the 650 through the only pci express port, I have looked at the specifications and it should? Thanks for your help IMG_0425.jpg image1.jpeg

What I have done:
    Different Cable
    Different Monitor
    Different graphics card
    Updated BIOS
    Updated Chipset
    Enabled Dual Monitor in BIOS
    Automatically selected input on Monitor (both)
    Changed resolution when in windows from integrated graphics
    Disabled integrated graphics
    Turned-off Hibernation

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

4 GB DDR3 RAM

----------------------------------------------------------------

If your intent is to use that Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop for gaming, I doubt you will have a quality gaming experience with those hardware specs.

Are you sure you have the monitor connected to the graphic card port and not to the integrated graphic port?

3. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Yep positive on the connection. I was going to test it out and hopefully sale as a cheap gaming pc. If it did not perform well I would not sale. Just looking at testing Fortnite.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Is the GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphic card appearing in the Display Adapters heading in the Device Manager, or is the integrated display device appearing?

5. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

After looking at and thinking about your reply I wanted to give this update. I had the 650 6pin connected but stayed on the integrated graphics. When I looked at the device manager it showed a Microsoft Basic Display Driver and the Intel Driver. So next I went to the Zotac website and downloaded the driver from there. This driver installed and on restart and plugged into the 650, no more black screen and 650 is recognized. Thanks for your time and help!!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That was going to be my next question - did you install the graphic card driver?

I'm glad to hear you figured it out and got the issue resolved. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice