1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 5100 XP Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mastertek, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mastertek

mastertek Thread Starter

My laptop crashed last month and would not boot up since then. I kept getting an error message that said "missing ntldr" or something like that. So I dug up my old XP Pro disc and tried to repair but was unsuccessful. So I reinstalled and chose the option to leave my memory unchanged. So now it starts and my memory is still there under my old Administrator name but nothing is active. None of my old programs, drivers, or software will operate. Is there a way to restore any of that to work right again without reinstalling everything?

2. mastertek

mastertek Thread Starter

Also now when I scroll my open windows up and down, like in this open window, it's so slow. I'm assuming it's just a setting change but I can't find it.

3. jmb06

jmb06

From *my* own experience with the Dell Inspiron, the hard drive itself isn't all that great. I had problems with mine from the day I bought it. I finally bought a new HD from a computer store, reinstalled everything and have not had any problems since.

If you are able to access your important files (pictures, etc. that can't be replaced) just to copy them to a cd, then this may be the solution. Of course I'm sure there are many other options you may want to try. I was just convinced that I got a defective HD in my laptop from the beginning. I have not been impressed with Dell's parts at all.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Did you do a repair install or a full install??

Also check in Device Manager and look under Display Adapters and see what it says and if there are any warning signs on the left.

Device Manager = Windows Logo key + Pause Break key then Hardware tab then Device Manager button

5. mastertek

mastertek Thread Starter

Yeah I hear ya. I have had my share of problems with Dell too. I had to have my sd/dvd drive replaced and my whole laptop replaced when it was under the warranty for random problems. So when I backup all my pics and music how can I completely wipe out my crappy hard drive and start over "really" from scratch...with no memory used up?

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Did you get a Recovery Disk or a Disk with the Operating System on it?

7. mastertek

mastertek Thread Starter

I have a warning sign on Ethernet Controller,PCI Modem,USB Controller,Video Controller(VGA Compatible)
    I've tried to reinstall these drivers but it doesn't work.

8. jmb06

jmb06

If you got a recovery disk, there is an option to reformat the drive. So far that is the only way I know of for starting from scratch. I do remember trying the fdisk with the original HD but for some reason it wouldn't work.

9. mastertek

mastertek Thread Starter

Yes I still have my XP Pro

10. bonk

bonk Banned

Did you get a Recovery Disk or a Disk with the Operating System on it?

11. mastertek

mastertek Thread Starter

I had a disc full of all my drivers but I can't find it.

12. mastertek

mastertek Thread Starter

Can't I wipe my whole hard drive clean with some Windex and paper towels.

13. bonk

bonk Banned

What operating system was on it before .....not XP pro?

14. jmb06

jmb06

LOL If only it was that easy!!!

15. mastertek

mastertek Thread Starter

yes it's always had xp pro

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/457615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice