1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 530 extreme fan noise and temps. Changing processor state reduces it :S

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vulpix, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vulpix

Vulpix Thread Starter

I'm a little confused about what's going on with my PC.

Basically, recently my Dell Inspiron 530 (Vista Home) has been extremely noisy. When I'm just on the desktop, there is almost no noise, the fans are silent. However when I play almost any game, visit a site such as google maps, open Microsoft Outbox, or almost any other program that is a little bit tough on the system resources, the fan noise increases from silent to the noisiest it could possibly be in a matter of seconds.
    It almost seems like it's all or nothing with the fan noise, it either makes no noise at all, or makes a horrendous noise when I run just about any program.

All these programs never before caused the fan to make such a loud noise.

I decided to use SpeedFan to try and work out the problem.
    There are some unusual things I have observed:

When I open a simple java browser game, Runescape in this case, the Temp1 reaches 61C. This is simply on the start screen, not playing the game at all.

However this is what really confuses me, and I'm sure you can make sense of it.
    When I go to the "Power Options" in Control Panel, click "Change plan settings" and go to the "Processor power management" section it gives me the option to change the "Maximum processor state". This was previously at 100%, so I changed it to 50% and changed the "Mininum processor state" to 5%. Magically the sound dissappeared. The Runescape start screen gave me very little fan noise, and there was no noticable difference to the performance of the game. If anything it ran smoother (Even though Vista told me my performance should now be reduced). And whats more, Speedfan tells me the Temp1 is at a mere 49C.
    So changing these settings caused a reduction of 10C, and gave me almost silent fans from deafening ones. What is going on? :S

So I now don't have the crazy fan noise, but I don't understand why I had to change the processor state options to reduce it. I've had this PC for 3 years with it on 100% for both min and max processor state, and it has previously been fine (no excessive noise).

This is a good temporary fix, but I'm worried there may be something wrong with my processor, like it is reading the temperatures wrong, or for some reason just pushing the fan to go fast unnecessarily.

Also I don't even understand what I have changed, and is it safe to run the PC on these lowered settings? The control panel tells me that from reducing the processor state I should now have reduced performance, but I don't see any. Or is this just because I am not running the really intense programs that require the full processor?

I'd really appreciate any advice/help, as I'm just really confused right now and not sure if I should replace the fan, power source or if it's something more serious like with the processor.

Thanks!

2. bennieboi20

bennieboi20

quick question have you tried opening up your pc and looking inside the fan and cleaning it out? that can sometimes be a cause of nosiy fans try using a vacumme cleaner and cleaning out the fan if that doesnt help then im not to sure what is wrong with it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/935494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice