Dell Inspiron 5570 Error Code 161

MURANNU67

I have a Dell Inspiron 5570 it was working fine until I received a white screen with loud noise and this error warning "Critical Issue Fond, Error Code 161, Your hard drive is operating outside of normal parameters and should be replaced".
I bought a new hard drive and after installation it is still giving me the same error.

Couriant

James
OK. So the white screen I am assuming is the SupportAssist / ePSA (troubleshooter) screen that is throwing this error. This is usually shown if you have the SMART Report turned on so if there was an issue with the hard drive, it will tell you. I suspect the hard drive you have is an NvME/PCI-E and not a SATA SSD?

Since it's happening on two drives, then my first suspect would be the board itself.

If you go into the BIOS, please confirm what is the BIOS version.

MURANNU67

I tried to go into the BIOS from the white screen several times but it shuts off the computer. When I turn it on I get the white screen again with very loud noises. Is it possible to get to my BIOS before the white screen? or after? thank you for your help.

Attachments

Couriant

James
OK, you have BIOS Version 1.2.5. The latest is BIOS Version 1.4.1.

One issue I think happened is some hardware fault corrupted the original drive and the NvME/PCI-E slot. Did the computer have any issues prior, like a unplanned shutdown? Since 2 drives are not being recognised, I suspect the slot may be bad and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Installing the BIOS may help the situation. Dell Tech Support would want to make sure that this was completed. You can download the latest BIOS version here. Transfer it to a USB drive and then put the USB drive in your computer and then shut down the machine then turn it on. As soon as you turn it on, repeatedly press F12 to get the boot menu. If you get the error message again, click continue to get the menu up. Then select BIOS Update.

You will need to select the USB drive by clicking on the ... and selecting the drive and then the file. Once you are ready, click on Update/OK. Note: It will not start the update unless 1) you have the ac adapter connected, and 2) the battery has enough charge to complete it if for some reason you lose ac power. DO NOT STOP THE PROCESS OR YOU MAY CORRUPT THE FIRMWARE AND DEFINITLEY NEED A MOTHERBOARD REPLACEMENT!

If the BIOS update succeeds but still doesn't see the drive, then most likely it will be the port. Just out of interest, with the original drive, did you click on continue when it mentioned about the drive being outside the parameters?

MURANNU67

OK, you have BIOS Version 1.2.5. The latest is BIOS Version 1.4.1.

One issue I think happened is some hardware fault corrupted the original drive and the NvME/PCI-E slot. Did the computer have any issues prior, like a unplanned shutdown? Since 2 drives are not being recognised, I suspect the slot may be bad and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Installing the BIOS may help the situation. Dell Tech Support would want to make sure that this was completed. You can download the latest BIOS version here. Transfer it to a USB drive and then put the USB drive in your computer and then shut down the machine then turn it on. As soon as you turn it on, repeatedly press F12 to get the boot menu. If you get the error message again, click continue to get the menu up. Then select BIOS Update.

You will need to select the USB drive by clicking on the ... and selecting the drive and then the file. Once you are ready, click on Update/OK. Note: It will not start the update unless 1) you have the ac adapter connected, and 2) the battery has enough charge to complete it if for some reason you lose ac power. DO NOT STOP THE PROCESS OR YOU MAY CORRUPT THE FIRMWARE AND DEFINITLEY NEED A MOTHERBOARD REPLACEMENT!

If the BIOS update succeeds but still doesn't see the drive, then most likely it will be the port. Just out of interest, with the original drive, did you click on continue when it mentioned about the drive being outside the parameters?
I was able to update my BIOS from the steps you mentioned above. I now have version 1.4.1 installed.
I still get the white screen.
With the original drive I did click on continue when it mentioned the drive being outside the parameters. But when I did that it seemed to work fine couple times until at once it stopped working.

Attachments

Couriant

James
Perhaps then if the other drive was working, then the new drive is not correct for the port. Can you confirm the make/model of the new drive please?

MURANNU67

Perhaps then if the other drive was working, then the new drive is not correct for the port. Can you confirm the make/model of the new drive please?
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD SATA 6GBs 5400 rpm 128 Cache
This HDD fit perfectly in the slot the previous drive was located.

Couriant

James
OK, I think i know what is happening now. To confirm, was the storage device the same size as the new one, or did it look long and thin?

The two errors you have are not exclusive to each other. It look like the computer trying to find a hard drive on the NvME slot but the SATA SDD is not on that port.

Try this:

In case you do not have this, download and install the Dell Recovery Software. This will create the OS on a USB stick (you need minimum 8GB and make sure it has no personal data as it will remove it). It will ask you for your Service Tag that you provided earlier and it will add all the drivers you need. Once you are done, connect the USB drive to your Dell machine, and then turn on the machine and go to the BIOS Setup by repeatedly pressing F2.

Next, in the BIOS, check to see if the drive is being recognized in System Information > Device Information.

1619466186698.png

If you have Primary Hard Drive as showing as the Seagate, then go to Boot Sequence, highlight Windows Boot Manager on the right, then click Delete Boot Option

1619466322143.png

Next, click on Exit and Save any changes. Repeat the F12 key, then select the USB option under UEFI and it should boot the Recovery Software and start installing Windows on the SATA Drive.

MURANNU67

OK, I think i know what is happening now. To confirm, was the storage device the same size as the new one, or did it look long and thin?

The two errors you have are not exclusive to each other. It look like the computer trying to find a hard drive on the NvME slot but the SATA SDD is not on that port.

Try this:

In case you do not have this, download and install the Dell Recovery Software. This will create the OS on a USB stick (you need minimum 8GB and make sure it has no personal data as it will remove it). It will ask you for your Service Tag that you provided earlier and it will add all the drivers you need. Once you are done, connect the USB drive to your Dell machine, and then turn on the machine and go to the BIOS Setup by repeatedly pressing F2.

Next, in the BIOS, check to see if the drive is being recognized in System Information > Device Information.

View attachment 287234

If you have Primary Hard Drive as showing as the Seagate, then go to Boot Sequence, highlight Windows Boot Manager on the right, then click Delete Boot Option

View attachment 287235

Next, click on Exit and Save any changes. Repeat the F12 key, then select the USB option under UEFI and it should boot the Recovery Software and start installing Windows on the SATA Drive.
Thank you for providing the steps, I will have to find or buy a USB stick over 8GBs to install. Will a DVD work for the reinstall?

Couriant

James
I don't believe a DVD will hold that much data. You may be squeaking by if the DVD is dual layered and the laptop in question has a dvd drive that can support it. If you do can you can do a DVD, then you would select the optical drive/dvd drive in place of the USB drive when installing OS.

MURANNU67

Try this:

View attachment 287234

View attachment 287235

I bought a USB flash drive to install the Dell recovery software. It created the Dell OS Recovery Tool. It did not ask me for the Service Tag number and not sure if it installed the drivers.
I plugged in the flash drive to the Dell laptop, the drive was not recognized at least I didn't see it under system information. I did see my primary HDD.
I went to the Boot Sequence, highlighted the Windows Boot Manager on the right, then clicked Delete Boot Option. But when saved and I restarted my laptop and got to Boot mode there was no USB option available under UEFI
There is an option for "Change Boot Mode Settings". but wasn't sure to change that.
I not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. Thank you again for your help.

MURANNU67

Try this:

View attachment 287234

View attachment 287235

Hello, I wanted to let you know that after several attempts at fixing my computer I was successful. Thanks to the guidance you provided. I followed it step by step and was able to reinstall windows on my laptop with the new hard drive and it is functioning correctly. Appreciate all your help with this issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online