1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 6000 doesn't boot up!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fishpan, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fishpan

Fishpan Thread Starter

Dear all,

I have had this laptop for over 3 years now and I found that one day, when I switched it on, the HDD light, the num, caps and scroll lock lights all lit and then 2 seconds later, they stopped. The power light was left on however. I could hear the fans spinning but nothing booted. The hard drive light was not blinking either, indicating operation. I did some research and tried the PSA alternate boot method (pressing FN and power ON) and there was a led code:

Num lock - flashing
    Caps lock - ON (continously)
    Scroll lock - OFF

I have tried removing all the components and powering on one by one after removal but this did not work either. I reseated the RAM modules as well in different places but to no avail. I also tried booting from AC supply only with the same results.

Can you help me find out what happened to my laptop? I would be very grateful for ANY response on this urgent matter.

Cheers, Fishpan

2. twizzie

twizzie

I would think that this is a problem with the operating system. I'm not 100% sure, but however, if you want to check, get an hard drive enclosure for $10 - $15 on newegg. Then unplug your hard drive and plug it into the enclosure and plug the enclosure into another computer and see if the OS files are intact. You could also plug your hd into another laptop and see what happens, if it boots, then the problem is not your hardrive.

3. Fishpan

Fishpan Thread Starter

I don't think the problem lies with the OS because even the BIOS logo doesn't show when it is started. The only indication I ever get of the laptop being powered on are the LEDS. Also, there are media keys on the laptop which light when pressed for about 10 seconds after power is on but then go unresponsive after the 10 seconds.

In any case, I will try to purchase a HDD enclosure but would there be any other problems? In fact, the monitor doesn't even turn on during booting.

4. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Are you getting any beeps at all? Sometimes you really need to listen very closely to hear them. You could also try booting from a live cd like knoppix or puppy linux to see if the hdd is the problem instead of forking out for hdd enclosures. Max.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice