1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 6000 Failed DST Short Test

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sonia60610, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia60610

Sonia60610 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with Windows XP Professional. When I turn it on, a black screen appears with one of the following messages:
    • Read failure on internal hard drive. No Bootable devices.
    • Internal hard disk drive not found. Internal HDD Hard error!
    Both messages are followed by two options: F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. I went to the setup utility, which said "none" after the hard drive option.

I tried to log on in Safe Mode, but no luck (tried with the F8 key and the control key). I tried the F12 key and was able to do the diagnostics test. The computer passed every test except the DST. The test showed the following information:
    • Device: Hard Drive
    • Test: Start DST Short Test
    • Test Results: Fail
    • Error Code; 1000-0141
    • Msg: No drive detected
    I read previous posts on this subject, which suggested trying a winxp CD boot. Unfortunately, Dell did not provide me with such a CD. The Dell guide says you can just do a "System Restore." (But if you can't log on or get to Safe Mode, you can't do a system restore.)

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or where I can buy a winxp CD? My laptop is no longer under warranty, so I am trying to avoid calling Dell.

Thank you very much for whatever suggestions you might have.

2. huggie54

huggie54

3. Sonia60610

Sonia60610 Thread Starter

Dear Huggie54,

Thanks so much for your response and for sending me the link. I'll try this over the weekend. You just might be a lifesaver! Thanks again!

Sonia60610

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice