1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell inspiron 6000 SigmaTel C-Major Audio choppy sound issue

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by joshuad31, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joshuad31

joshuad31 Thread Starter

Hello,

Thank you so much for having this great forum on the internet! If you can solve this problem I will be really happy.

Computer / Driver specs below.

PROBLEM: When I play midi sounds its very choppy. Sounds in games are ok but after 1/2 hour or so can become choppy and sound needs to be stopped and restarted. When playing WMAs WMVs or MP3s sound can become choppy after 1/2 hour and only resolution is to stop sound from playing and trying to restart application and continue from where I left off.

This began a year and a half ago so no way to pinpoint now what cause was.

NOTE:
    1. I do not experience this when I play a CD on my computer.
    2. Also note that when I use tunebite which passes audio through my sound card and recaptures and saves it in a different form there are no issues either. I have recorded over an hour of pristine sound with no choppyness and played this sound on an mp3 player.

I suspect that I am having a hardware issue with my dell sound card but I need a way to prove that I am not experiencing an issue with driver conflicts on my computer. I wish I could download and run a diagnostic test to find out at which level the sound is being corrupted.

I have made a detailed image map attached with all information pertaining to my sound drivers.

SPECS:
    Dell inspiron 6000
    windows XP home SP 2
    intel pentium M processor
    1.86 GHz w/ 2 GB of RAM

Please see Driver map at:
    http://snipurl.com/dellsoundissue
    From the image you can see from the highlights that I highly suspected some sort of conflict with the Spiro Lab Telecom Audio Codec.

[​IMG]Any help is much appreciated!

Joshua
    [​IMG]

2. joshuad31

joshuad31 Thread Starter

SigmaTel C-Major Audio

Anyone know of a way of diagnosing whether or not this driver works correctly?

I downloaded the driver directly from support.dell.com and followed their instructions for upgrading this driver. No luck.

Josh

3. joshuad31

joshuad31 Thread Starter

Ok I thought I would try something different I went to start> Run> dxdiag to get to the direct x diagnostic page. When running some diagnostics I got this message:

"Your sound card does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only play back from software buffers."

Under the Direct X Diagnostic Tool I see %TBHSD.Wave5.szPname% and the test DirectMusic button does not produce any results. It also asays "Default Port Acceleration: Not Available"

Midi sounds great when it plays thorough the Direct X diagnostic tool. I wish I could get it to sound that good outside of the tool.

This is till a mystery to me.

Joshua

4. joshuad31

joshuad31 Thread Starter

You know there was an acceleration control in the direct X diagnostic and it was set at the lowest setting. I changed it to standard and my midi problems seem to be solved. Maybe choppy mp3 sound will be resolved by this too.

Josh

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!