1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 600m Black Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GavinCole, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GavinCole

GavinCole Thread Starter

My Computer starts up well. I can hear the start up tone. If I hold up against light, I can see the desktop faintly.
    But the screen is black. What should I do?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Do you access to or can you borrow a desktop monitor and output graphics to that to test if it's your screen that's gone West or your graphics card?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Backlight is probably burned out on the Display.

You can replace it yourself if you feel comfortable taking it apart, but you may want to ask a professional to do it for you.

4. GavinCole

GavinCole Thread Starter

I connected it to another monitor and it's working fine.
    But my screen is still black.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Squashman has it right then.

6. GavinCole

GavinCole Thread Starter

I don't understand what you mean.

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

See his post - No. 3 - in which he explains about your backlight having packed up.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Your Display as a long thin light in it which reflects light off off of a metallic background which then shines thru your display. When the light burns out you can still faintly see the display because there is still energy flowing to the display but it is the backlight that actually lets you see everything.

9. radiowaves

radiowaves

I'm having the same issue with my 600m as well. I do find that when I set the lcd to the lowest setting (dim) the lcd will light up with a reddish tint and work fine. However, when I increase the power level above the lowest setting the lcd goes off right away.

I'm strugling with the fact that it could be the inverter or also could be the backlit bulb is going out.

One thing I do notice right now, is at the lowest setting on the lcd, the inverter makes a buzzing noise that it's never made before. This makes me wonder if the inverter is ok, but the buld is needing replaced.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice