1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 7520 Touchpad Not Working Properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swahealy, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swahealy

swahealy Thread Starter

Hi. I'm a first-time user and happy to have found your website!

My operating system is Windows 7. I am using a wireless Logitech Mouse (uses USB hardware). I have had this laptop for 5+ years.

PROBLEMS:
    1. The touchpad will not “turn off.” Under "Mouse" on the Control Panel, functions for the Dell Touchpad should allow me to simply turn the touchpad on and off. Regardless whether it is in the on or off position, it is still on.
    2. Even when I don’t touch the touchpad, the cursor skips around the screen, highlights text and deletes text. Typed text re-locates within earlier typed text.
    3. There is an on/off light at the top of the touchpad that indicates the touchpad is on/off. This is not working.
    4. Also this panel item allows me to manage sensitivity, buttons, gestures & edge scroll & zoom. I can work these, but the Edge Scroll & Zoom buttons do not see to change the settings.

WHAT I HAVE DONE TO ATTEMPT RESOLUTION:
    1. I have checked the drivers for both the touchpad and mouse and I get messages that they are each up to date
    2. Because the touchpad will not turn off, I have tried to manage the buttons to turn down the sensitivity, to minimize movement of text. This does not help.
    3. Turning on “Disable Touchpad & Point Stick when USB Mouse present” does not disable the touchpad.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to actually have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 laptop.
    What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on yours?

Click "Manuals" and then click "Me And My Dell" so the on-line manual can load.
    (Note: It's in PDF format, so Adobe Reader or some other PDF reader needs to be installed first)
    The section on how to access the BIOS is on page 90.
    You should be able to find a setting there to disable the touchpad.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. swahealy

swahealy Thread Starter

Hello Flavallee....please forgive me for being tardy in my response. There is a good reason I did not reply, which I will explain.

First, you are correct, I have the exact Inspiron 15R laptop you identified. You asked for my service key, but I hesitated to provide it, as it would feel like I was giving my identity away.

On to your suggestion: I looked in my user manual which I downloaded when I originally set up my account. Unfortunately, there is no page 90 in my manual, and a search didn't find’ BIOS’ anything.

Since I was unable to take the action you suggested I tried another ploy, and that worked for a few days, but the problem resurfaced. I uninstalled the Touchpad.

I was so happy when I could type without any issues. But it may be that it has been somehow installed as an integral part of Windows or the equipment package. Anyway, I did not reply to you right away to see if my fix would last. Since it did not, I am wondering if you would be so kind and try once again to help me.

If you still need the Service Key to be able to help me, I will gladly provide it.

4. swahealy

swahealy Thread Starter

Hello Flavallee....please forgive me for being tardy in my response. There is a good reason I did not reply, which I will explain.

First, you are correct, I have the exact Inspiron 15R laptop you identified. You asked for my service key, but I hesitated to provide it, as it would feel like I was giving my identity away.

On to your suggestion: I looked in my user manual which I downloaded when I originally set up my account. Unfortunately, there is no page 90 in my manual, and a search didn't find’ BIOS’ anything.

Since I was unable to take the action you suggested I tried another ploy, and that worked for a few days, but the problem resurfaced. I uninstalled the Touchpad.

I was so happy when I could type without any issues. But it may be that it has been somehow installed as an integral part of Windows or the equipment package. Anyway, I did not reply to you right away to see if my fix would last. Since it did not, I am wondering if you would be so kind and try once again to help me.

If you still need the Service Key to be able to help me, I will gladly provide it.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The service tag number and express service code number does NOT divulge any personal information about the owner of a Dell computer.
    What it does is allow us to confirm the computer's identity and its device drivers, hardware specs, manuals, etc..
    It's something that we request here all the time when someone has an issue with a Dell computer.

Go into the Device Manager, then expand the Mice and other pointing devices heading.
    What's the exact names of the devices listed there?

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. swahealy

swahealy Thread Starter

The headings in the Mice and other pointing devices are: HID-compliant mouse and PS/2 compatible mouse.

My Service Tag Number is FKNBGS1

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have THIS Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 laptop.
    You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

It shipped in July 2012 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    It has a Dell (Elantech) touchpad.
    The Windows 7 64-bit driver (Input_Driver_KCKT5_WN_11.3.16.1_A07.EXE) listed for it is version 11.3.16.1 and was posted in May 2014.

It's my guess the PS/2 compatible mouse entry is for the Elantech touchpad and the HID-compliant mouse entry is for the Logitech wireless mouse.
    Double-click each of those entries to open its properties window, then click the "Driver" tab.
    What's the exact driver provider/version/date that's listed for each one?

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. swahealy

swahealy Thread Starter

Both are the same: MS 6/21/2006 Version 6.1.7600.16385

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You need to stop quoting everything I say and including it in your replies because it causes clutter and makes it difficult to read, especially when you do it 2 - 3 times in the same reply.
    Please reply with your comments only and with nothing else.
    That driver version shows that both the touchpad and wireless mouse are using the Windows 7 generic drivers.
    You need to download and save and then install the touchpad driver that I linked you to in post #7.
    Once that's done, you'll have full access to the touchpad's settings and can make changes as needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. swahealy

swahealy Thread Starter

Hello Flavalee. I installed the driver and am cautiously optimistic that this will solve my problem once and for all. I'll let you know after a few days have passed and the Touchpad stays turned off.

Thanks for the assist.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.
    Keep us posted.

------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1165207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice