1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thepcmann, Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thepcmann

thepcmann Thread Starter

Ok...got one for you.

I have a customer's laptop in the shop. It had major software issues. (btw, have you ever seen where you select static ip and the ip and subnet lightnen up so you can type in them but then guess what? You can't! You can click all day and you'll never see a curser and you can't type a number or anything in the box. And yes..checked font color and stuff. I could type fine in any other network related box.)

But enough of that. (unless you can answer that one for future use.)

It had Windows ME on it..yuck! He told me if I was going to reformat and reload that he would rather just go back down to win98se. I agreed that it would be a better choice.

So I've loaded 98se found all the drivers on dells site. (btw....for sound you have to use the ME driver) I loaded the intel chipset driver. Everything working great. Until I put it in in the docking station. Windows said that it was doing a new configuration. Cool.... When everything got done and rebooted I have no mouse. No earaser pointer, no touch pad (it has both)...Ok....shut down try a mouse on the dock. Nope, mouse pointer still locked in dead center. I shut down, take the laptop out of the dock and restart and i have both my touchpad and earser pointer working fine. Before I ever put it in the dock, I did install Dell Dock which I thought was for the docking station. Do you think I have a bad dock or not the correct drivers? And yes it was acting flakey in the dock when we had ME on it.

Oh...almost forgot....I cannot get the internal nic working in either the laptop or the dock. Windows never sees them. I had to use a pcmcia to get on the network.

Any ideas....? Sorry...I'm not going to post the easy problems! :)

2. tjsudo

tjsudo

Hi,

You didn't mention anything in device manager. Means no conflict? How about after you dock?

TJ

3. Rockn

Rockn

Once the docking station hardware profile is loaded did you notice if everything was installed correctly in device manager? Look in device manager for the built in NIC in both configurations to see if it is installed correctly.

4. thepcmann

thepcmann Thread Starter

ok update....

no....no conflicts in device manager..and no built in nic showing up.

Now this morning when i booted it from the dock, guess what? I had touch pad, eraser point and mouse on dock...all worked fine...I shut down ejected and reinserted and turned back on...no mouse...well ok moved mouse at windows logon for .05 seconds then locked up......no i have ejected and reinserted 5x and can not get any mouse device to work again while in dock. Again..works fine out of dock. yes..i made sure it was ALL THE WAY IN THE DOCK......and jiggled it slightly for good measure. I just cant get it to work again........

I'm thinking either bad dock or bad interface on the laptop....to bad i dont have another dock just like it.....or laptop.....

5. thepcmann

thepcmann Thread Starter

Update for you.

i plugged a keyboard into the dock...it didn't work either although i didn't lose the keyboard on the laptop.

I did try safe mode in the dock and everything is the same as it was in normal mode.

Like i said before when it gets to windows logon screen, you can move the mouse for about a spit second.....then all you have is the built on keyboard for navigation....wierd.

If it was a driver issue, why did it work once in the dock this morning? (just thinking out loud.)

6. thepcmann

thepcmann Thread Starter

ok...got it....

had jiggled from side to side before....

guess what....lift up a little and it works......

oh well guess he can put something underneath it cause i think its out of warranty. And i know he wont spent the money.

btw....did anyone catch that tcpip problem i mentioned at the start of this thread?....has anyone seen that before?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/100977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice