1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron 8200 graphics card problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drronin, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drronin

drronin Thread Starter

Some months ago my laptop screen began flickering with vertical bands and other distortions. Dell support thought it was the graphics card--a Mobility Radeon 9000. They said the graphics card was integrated with the motherboard and that it was not customer replaceable--and the cost would be $499 for the repair at Dell. I decided to just live with the weird screen.

But, a few days ago the laptop screen went dark. Oddly when I restarted the screen was lit again but went dark just after Windows XP SP3 started up. I called Dell and it was the same story as before with the out of warranty dept. A guy who seemed to know what he was talking about said that it was not the LCD because although I was able to get a display on an external monitor, the difference in resolution accounted for the dark laptop screen. Again I contemplated whether just lo start using an external monitor all the time.

Then I was checking on the system configuration at the Dell web site and started a chat with a tech rep. He was quite sure that the graphics card and the motherboard are NOT integrated and that the card could be swapped for a new one. He added that this was not something a customer could/should do.

So, what is the real story here? Is it integrated with the MB or not? Can it be swapped or not? If so, is it likely I can do it or get a local techie to do it for less than $500?

Many thanks!

d.

2. drronin

drronin Thread Starter

Upon start today the Inspiron display was functioning again--not dark--but the resolution was lower than normal and could not be changed. So, the LCD seems fine, with the graphics card likely worsening.
    d.

3. jopublik

jopublik

Hi mate, i have the same problem unfortunately an external display will not be a fix as the graphics card will run this display as well. Good news is that the radeon 9000 is not integrated with the motherboard and is completely swappable. I know this as i removed it yesterday and is quite a simple task. As the inspiron is getting on a bit i was thinking of finding an upgrade for the ati card as it only has 64MB of memory and cannot play latest games etc. If i find something suitable i will let you know, but if you can get another replacement card it is pretty easy to install yourself-a small phillips screwdriver and 20 minutes of your time is all you need or any PC shop could do it for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/824888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice