1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron B120 Network Challenge

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SatDoug, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SatDoug

SatDoug Thread Starter

Hi All:
    I am posting this to the best brains on the Net, because I am at the end of my rope on this one.
    My wife has a 4 year old Dell Inspiron B120 laptop with a built-in mini PCI Dell branded NIC. The PC is running Windows XP/SP2 and has 1 gig of RAM. Ever since we bought it new, it would sometimes not see my home network, but after doing a refresh of the network list, it would see it and allow it to connect with no problem. Lately, it has gotten MUCH worse in that I am ready to throw the laptop out the window. I am using an SMC wireless router with WEP turned on. I recently flashed its firmware hoping this may solve the problem (it did for about a week). My other two laptops, PSP and wired desktop see my network and have never had a problem connecting, so I am pretty sure it is not the router. Of course I tried power resets and tried turning off WEP, but the problem with the Inspiron still exists. Now, the interesting part...the B120 sees other networks, and if they are not protected, I can get on with no problem (my other laptops see them as well), though they are a low signal and I don't want to take someone else's bandwidth. As I have another Dell from work, I tried to exchange the NIC, but that model will not work in the B120 (figures). I am thinking of buying a used NIC on eBay as it's only $20 shipped, and might be worth a shot...I really don't want to replace my router as everything else works fine, including other laptops that I provide the key to when friends come to visit. And of course, as I post this, I am doing it on the stupid B120 that for this morning, is staying connected to my network!!! A final note- I am allowing Windows to manage the connections; if I change it to the Dell utility, the same problem exists. Any suggestions?!?!?!?!?!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I hate to suggest the obvious, but have you tried changing the channel on the router? What does the signal strength look like when you connect?

3. SatDoug

SatDoug Thread Starter

Hi there...thanks for trying to help. Yes...I tried changing router channels (twice!). When it sees the network, it is full strength (5 of 5 bars). That's what is weird...sometimes I will be next to the router, then go in to refresh list on the laptop, and it does not see the network at all. If I do it three or four times, it may eventually see it. I have also seen it disappear from the list right in front of me. I am thinking it may be some weird electrical/RF interference (maybe my neighbor got a new cordless phone?!?!), so maybe installing a new NIC card would behave better.

4. JohnWill

I doubt a new NIC is going to solve this issue unless this NIC is actually dying and not experiencing interference. The new NIC will be in the same environment. :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you use Windows' WZC or Dell's wireless utility are you sure that the other one is not running? If multiple wireless utilities are running they can cause a variety of symptoms, including the ones you are experiencing.

6. SatDoug

SatDoug Thread Starter

Well, TerryNet just may be on to something...
    I took your advice and uninstalled the Dell wireless LAN utility & did a reboot. Laptop entered windows and saw my network, and has been connected with no problem (as well as faster than ever).
    We'll see what happens in a day or two. You just may be a genius! :).
    Thank you!

7. JohnWill

Don't do that! His head is big enough already! :p:p:p

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My "genius" is my 3-part secret to success:

1. If it doesn't connect, say "firewall."
    2. If it disconnects, say "multiple wireless utiilities."
    3. Let John handle all the others! :D:D:D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!