1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by atariangamer, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atariangamer

atariangamer Thread Starter

I had a computer, a Dell Inspiron B130, and I was about to run the last released version of the DooM source port Risen3d. Earlier, I had turned up the volume due to a music file being very low. The result was E1M1 blasting to all the people in the very small room. I tried to turn the volume down, but the old PC was having a hard enough time loading all the hiresolution textures and MD2 models. The power button wouldn't work, so I closed the cover and started to walk out. The music stopped, and the power lights went off. I opened the cover to restart the comp, then the lights came back on, the music blaring again, and I was starting to get stared at. I'm very shy, so I just pulled the plug on the laptop. The battery wasn't connected properly, and the power was cut instantly. Everything stopped, and I waited for a while to let thing cool off (one problem with the PC is that it doesn't ever give me heat errors even though the botom is about to melt off). I put the battery back in properly, and turned it on. It went normal, showing me the Dell BIOS screen, then the second BIOS screen, then the boot options came on. It said to choose reboot normaly if you didn't know what happened or there was a power failure. I chose it, and after the Windows boot screen came up (I am running Windows XP Home Edition) and the little blue bar went all the way accross, a blue screen came up with an error message. A wiser computer man than I said to just leave it alone for a while, so I'll give what I remember. It was saying how an error had come up and something like "SECTION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" and said
    ***STOP (some address here, when I try again I'll post it)
    I didn't have a reboot button, so I had to cold restart. I tried every boot mode available, and safe mode gave me the same errors. The only thing that works is the diagnostics partition of the hard drive. It says all is well, and everything surely isn't right. The original operating system is on there, and no recovery disk is included. It shouldn't be a virus or a malware, I have had no problems until now. If the system is toast, tell me what I should do to get some data off the drive, I need some of that stuff. (as in almost life and death need, but more like a money loss need)

2. adventureluck

adventureluck

here you can download a cd iso of the recovery console microsoft provides http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/bootdiscs/xp_rec_con.zip
    Definitely give that a go. You can also make an UBCD4WIN cd or usb iso to boot from. It opens it's own operating system and allows you to browse around for files on yer computer if you go to start->run->c: Then you can copy those files to the usb flash drive, if yer computer boots from one, or to the cd if yer computer can burn cds. The UBCD4WIN also has the ability to use the internet so you could email files off your computer or upload them somewhere for safekeeping. You just have to have the drivers for the lan card or wireless card on the UBCD4WIN cause it'll ask for them UBCD4WIN and instructions on how to make it can be found easily on their site if you just google UBCD4WIN and if you have a flash usb and you can boot from it (the option is available in bios) then once you make the UBCD4WIN .iso you can use PE2USB (easily found on google) to get it onto the usb stick. The .iso is the finished product of the compilation of xp setup files that UBCD4WIN creates. Just to tell ya in case yer new to the term. I guess that's not a great definition but...well anyway in case you have questions lemme know.

3. adventureluck

adventureluck

to burn the recovery iso to a cd just go to google and search for 'free iso burner' and choose whichever program sounds neato. :)

4. atariangamer

I have alcohol 120% and MagicISO, so burning is no problem. I saw the UBCD4WIN, but the file size is a strain to my internet (it drops out, leaving me with a half a file) I have a method in IE that creates 2 files, and every time you click the link and the download box comes up, saving it to the same place alternates between the files (so 13 the first, 10 the second, then click again, and it starts from 13...). I'm about to start school, so I can't try it now. I'm going to ask my computer professor about it.

(and I thought .iso was a disk image file?)

5. atariangamer

I got the Utlimate Boot Disk...but it says it won't work with out an ipaddress program. It also says its the fault of my virus software. The, umm, MH5 hash? said it was okay, but it said that this one program was missing:
    "ipscan.exe" - Angry IP Scanner
    Is there a place to get this bit without redownloading the program?

6. atariangamer

Sorry for the triple post, but I said XP was pre-installed. I don't have the install disks!

7. adventureluck

adventureluck

8. adventureluck

adventureluck

Hey you might also be able to slave the hard drive onto another desktop as in make it the second hard drive on the system but not the one that the operating system runs off of. Then you might be able to browse around get all the files you need off.

9. atariangamer

I found the file (ip thing), but won't work w/o xp instilation disks. I've found out that my father works with a person that they entrust all the computers in his office with backup and recovery and security...I cant get that thing to work without the disks, and he either would have them, or he would be able to get my laptop HDD out and run it slave. I'll try him. But keep searching for stuff. (BTW, I found a thing on my shelf that does the same thing, restores all files everywhere by creating a boot disk. Too late now...)

10. adventureluck

adventureluck

Oh it's a laptop, well I've taken one apart before and it wasn't really that hard. I can't remember if they use the same plugs for the hard drives though I'm assuming they do. I was reading about other boot cds and I've found that linux allows read-write access as well. It's set to read only by default. BartPE which is much smaller than UBCD4WIN says it allows read/write access. You could make a bartpe cd and then if you had a usb stick you could transfer files onto it from your comp. Also with BartPE there is a program called 'xp recovery cd' which can access your system restore program. There's no gaurantee that it'll work cause sometimes system restores don't work. Also you have to pay $15 or some such before you can use it. It's a seperate program you have to use to make a bartpe cd or usb and it adds itself to the files while it creates the cd or usb files.

11. adventureluck

adventureluck

did you try the recovery console cd?

12. atariangamer

what recovery console cd?

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

From your first post, why in heaven's earth would you keep running the laptop if it was getting as hot as you described? :confused:

14. atariangamer

When I used it, it didn't get hot. When I tried to put it into standby and hibernate (I use hibernate more times than not, uses 0% battery), if I didn't do it just right, or closed the lid on it wrong (the casing is kinda coming apart), it would just sit there, fan flaring from high to low every few seconds. I on it for awhile, then it stopped doing it. So I left it alone. Just a few months before this, it was kinda warm in our house, but the place where my laptop sits was a little cooler than usual. I turned it on, but the fan wasn't going very fast. Then it shut down, restarted, and gave me an overheat message. But that wasn't causing the problem, unless a hot CPU degrades performance and speed. What do you think could cause that, the problem also described in my first post?

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

A hot CPU degrades performance and speed. As it gets HOTTER, the system tries to compensate for it, rather than just burning your CPU up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/667866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice