1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron E1505, Screen not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muckmail, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop with the screen remaining black when I turn it on.
    It works fine with an extrenal monitor. How do I trouble shoot it to figure what is acturally
    wrong with the screen?
    I would like to know if it has bad inverter or it is a bad screen or what?
    Thank you,

2. pooveyhead

pooveyhead

Run Dell diagnostics with the external monitor attached as a first step. At startup, hit F12 (usually) to access the boot menu. One of the last options should be 'Hardware Diagnostics' or just 'Diagnostics'. The computer will test every component and let you know if there's a hardware issue. If so, determine if you're still under warranty by going here (http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/TroubleShooting/ProductSelector) and entering the service tag from the white sticker underneath your laptop in the 'Service Tag' field. If you have the Complete Care warranty, contact Dell to have the screen replaced.

3. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I did the dell Diagnostics proceedure from boot up menu.
    I get Error Code 0326,
    Msg Error Code 2000-0326
    "LCD inverter error, unable to turn Lamp on Vender Rev 3."
    I have not looked at the webpage yet.

4. pooveyhead

pooveyhead

Well at least you know what the problem is. This error code indicates that the lamp in your screen can't turn on and will require hardware replacement to resolve. If you're under warranty, Dell will take care of this for you. If you're not under warranty, you could look into options for replacing the screen yourself or pay for a technician to take care of it for you.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

5. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I use the service tag F1GCMB1 that is written on the bottom of my computer and I get
    the product for an Inspiron 6400. Not for a inspron E1505 and I don't see any place
    to enter my error code. So is there a place where I can enter an error code for my
    E1505 and to figure out the problem?
    Thank you,

6. pooveyhead

pooveyhead

The Dell Diagnostics procedure pretty much told you what the problem is: the LCD inverter is bad. The question now is where to find the cheapest repair facility. Do you see an 'Express Service Code' somewhere on the bottom of the laptop? You could try entering that in place of the Service Tag, or you can try calling Dell tomorrow to determine whether the laptop is still under warranty. If it's not, you'll have to pay to have the laptop serviced or just use the external monitor from here on out.

7. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

The express service tag of 32739663853 still list the inspiration 6400. I have a
    E1505 so the webpage is listing the wrong product for my number.

8. pooveyhead

pooveyhead

If the computer wasn't purchased from an authorized retailer, it's possible the certificate of authenticity is not actually authentic. That would explain why you're getting the wrong system when you search on the Dell website. I would not think that this would be a user-serviceable problem where you could just swap out inverters; the whole screen would probably need to be replaced and a repair shop should probably be used unless you're very comfortable working with computer hardware and can accept that you might ruin the machine.

9. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Yes the computer was bought used. Is there anyway to tell if it is an
    inverter or a screen problem? If it is just an inverter I could probably find
    on on ebay at a reasonable price. If it is a more costly screen problem I
    may use it only with a external monitor. If I was resonabably sure it was
    just an inverter I would probably get one off of ebay.

I bought it at a yard sale price so I can take chances. It is a good could be
    hardware learning project.

Thank you,

10. pooveyhead

pooveyhead

11. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I think it might be worth taking a chance. I will look on ebay or look at the Amazon inverter.
    Thank you,

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The E1505 and 6400 are virtually the same according to this :- http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2827

See if you can see a faint image on the laptop's screen, shining a light onto it might make it easier to see. If there is an image the problem could be the Inverter or the Backlight. It's much easier to replace the Inverter and the diagnostics point to that. You could probably do it yourself and save a lot of money.

Nice guide with photos on how to replace the Inverter here :- http://laptoppartstore.over-blog.co...25-6400-lcd-screen-and-inverter-92378101.html

EDIT : you can probably skip Step 8 in that guide.

13. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I don't see any faint images on the sreen. Does that mean any thing so is it still worth
    buying an inverter and see if that works? I had a computer friend that told me that
    It is just a guess. The only way I can tell if it is the inverter is to put one in and
    see if it works.

Thank you,

14. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself just take it somewhere and have it done for you.Plus they will know exactly what went bad and will be able to fix it a lot faster.Taking screens apart is a very slow tedious job unless you have done it before.

15. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Prefer to repair myself if it is possable. Yes you have to take your time taking it apart. I put it in a box
    so I don't loose any parts.
    Thank you,

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice