1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron e1505 trouble. Please help. Restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fox81tuner, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fox81tuner

fox81tuner Thread Starter

I have an old dell inspiron 1505. I've had to restore it to factory settings numerous times and I was trying again. It gets so slow after about 3 months. So every 3 months I have to restore it. Anyways, I do the whole ctrl, F11 thing when it starts up. It goes to the system restore page but when I click to the the restore it starts for about 1 minute then says there's an error with the System Restore. If I just try startin up the computer it says there's an error and to press alt, ctrl, del, to restart. That still doesnt work. How do I get it completely restored?

I've tried live chats and no one will answer my question. They just ignore me. It's my school computer and I need it fixed ASAP.

2. fel1x

fel1x

dells of that age have a constructive restore and a destructive restore so try either if you have the option

however you say " system restore" so do you mean a system restore or a complete restore?

if system restore than numerous things can go wrong, pick another date

if constructive restore than maybe hard drive finally had its chips

3. fox81tuner

fox81tuner Thread Starter

It would be a complete restore. back to factory settings.

4. fel1x

fel1x

eventually hard drives become corrupt, the data iffy and especially images for back ups of your age of comp

you will need a disc to install from, Dell can provide them if image will not work

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you've had to revert that computer back to its original factory condition several times because it starts running slow after 3 months, you're doing things that are causing it to eventually run slow. A properly used and properly maintained computer shouldn't need to have this done, and definitely not every 3 months

------------------------------------------------------------------

6. iy-ashish

iy-ashish

If you are able to boot, follow the below mentioned steps before you decide to perform a complete system recovery. I am sure this would help:
    1) Delete temporary files from the computer. Do the following:
    a. Click Start>Run , type Temp and delete all the files
    b. Click Start>Run , type %Temp% and delete all the files
    c. Click Start>Run , type prefetch and delete all the files
    2) Optimize internet explorer. Use the following link to do the same: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
    3) Disable unwanted startup items (these are programs which load up during the startup and keep on running in the background), if there are too many programs in the startup list, it may slow down the computer. To disable startup items and supporting services do the following:
    a. Click Start>Run> , type msconfig and press enter
    b. Disable unwanted startup items from the startup tab
    c. Go to the services tab and check the box ‘hide all Microsoft services’. From the list of rest of the items, uncheck the unwanted ones.
    d. Apply and Close and restart the computer
    Note: If you are unsure of a startup item or service search about it on the internet. One of the sites where you could find the information is http://www.sysinfo.org/
    4) Remove unwanted programs from add remove programs
    5) Run disk clean up: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
    6) You may also want to run disk defragmenter on the computer(preferably run it from safe mode) : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

All the best!!!
    iYogi - Good Karma!!!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice