1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron E1505 Windows XP complete system crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marypoodle, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marypoodle

marypoodle Thread Starter

I was recently given a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop with windows XP Media Center Edition as a gift. I am very grateful for the gift as a single mother of two in college. The only problem is, that this computer has been a problem since the first time I turned it on. It constantly had to suddenly shut windows down and kept telling me to run CHKDSK/F and restart. It never would work till today. After the computer restarted now every time I try to turn it on it first goes to a boot menu asking to start in safe mode, a few others and start windows normally, and then no matter what I choose the entire screen goes blue and says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." and some more about disabling antivirus and back up utilities and to run CHKDSK/F but the screen never changes and I can't do anything. I am hoping this can be fixed, even though the computer has been a pain, I have to have it for school and will be devastated without it. If someone out there can help me fix my computer I will be so grateful.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Inspiron E1505 and Dell Inspiron 6400 is the same laptop with different model numbers and was introduced in early 2006.

Because you received it still containing all the "debris" and issues from its previous owner, what it really needs is a clean reinstall of Windows XP and fresh start.

Because it's about 8 years old, it's possible that the hard drive in it is dying and needs replacing.

If that's the case, Windows XP would need to be installed in the new hard drive.

Personally, I never would've given someone a non-working laptop as a gift.

---------------------------------------------------------

3. marypoodle

Yes, the computer had problems before I received it. Thank you for your consideration. I am hoping that windows just needs to be reinstalled. How do I go about doing that, I can never get past the blue screen. This computer is what I have to work with unfortuently, so I am willing to try anything to get it working again.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that laptop?

What's the exact version of Windows that's on the Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

----------------------------------------------------------

5. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Did the person who gave you the computer include any disks?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you go here and then click Dell - Laptop - Inspiron - 6400/E1505 - XP Media Center and then select a mailing option and then click Search, it appears that a recovery disc kit is available for that laptop for $26.99.

--------------------------------------------------------

7. marypoodle

Exact Version Of windows: Windows XP Media Center Edition 0X5543
    Service Tag 9Z8PQ91 Express service code 21721994533

8. marypoodle

Unfortuently no disk where included and being a single mom in school, I can't drive an hour and a half to the nearest place to get it fixed

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you read post #6?

According to the numbers that you submitted, here is the Dell support site that's assigned only to your Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop.

You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its system configuration section, it was originally purchased in March 2006 and came with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1120755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice