1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron e1505 won't charge battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carriejahnke, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carriejahnke

carriejahnke Thread Starter

Hello,

I have had my dell inspiron e1505 for about 4 years now. I have gone through two batteries, but actually currently have the original battery back in my computer because it lasted longer than the replacement.
    However, my computer will no longer charge the battery....

My friend has the exact same computer so I have done a few tests...
    For help in communication here is some annotation:

My computer:
    computer A
    Power cord A
    Battery A

Friend:
    computer B
    Power cord B
    Battery B

I put my battery A in her computer B...and her computer B charged my battery A with her power cord B, but not with my power cord A.

I tried to use her power cord B on my computer A, but my battery A still would not charge...

I put her battery B, into my computer A, but it would not charge with EITHER power cord A or B....

So...I think I have come to a conclusion that something is broke inside my computer....
    Is there something on the motherboard that chatges that battery?
    Or, could it possibly be something easier to fix...
    I am a student studying abroad in Rome right now, and computer parts aren't really readily available....

PLEASE help

Carrie

2. systems-up

systems-up

Hello,

Battery is good.

Cord is questionable as does not work in either machine so should be replaced

most likley cause is the powerjack. it can be slightly clogged with dust causing a poor connection. Try blowing down the powerjack.

in some cases the central pin of the powerjack has detached from the back of the connector. this can be repaired with a carefully placed blob of solder.

worst case scenario is it will need to be replaced. these are really cheap but require an expert to install. the machine willl need to be stripped out and the component removed and a new one soldered to the board.

3. carriejahnke

Okay, so I thought that maybe one of the pins connecting the powerjack to the motherboard had come lose and would need to be resoldered. However, I resoldered each of the 5-6 points and it still does not work. You said that sometimes the central pin needs to be resoldered? Is that not something on the motherboard, but something on the actual powerjack that would need to be resoldered?

Or, is it possible that the powerjack is bad and I need to buy a new power jack and then solder this new part to the motherboard?

Thanks so much for your help.
    I am determined to make this computer last another year :)

4. systems-up

systems-up

their is normally a rail that runs from the central pin down to the mother board this is usually the problem. a blob of solder at the top of the rail will fix temporarily. however if you are handy with the iron might as well desolder and get a new one on they only cost a couple of pounds.

5. carriejahnke

Yeah, I already attempted on putting a little blob of solder on each of the pins that connect into the motherboard. However, it appears to still not be functioning. I ordered a new powerjack on ebay for about 10 euros. :).
    The only problem was that because I am studying abroad I had to go out and buy a soldering iron, and the part to remove the solder which is kind of annoying because I have this stuff at home in the states. O well, hopefully when the new part arrives I will be able to have a functioning computer again to last through one more year of college.
    I will let you know how it all turns out. THANKS :)
    -Carrie

6. Brokencomputers

Brokencomputers

same problem w/ me... wish ya luck!!

7. carriejahnke

are you going to try to fix it on your own?

8. carriejahnke

Okay...so, in the attempt to desolder the power-jack from the motherboard I think that I removed some of the 'foil edges' around the holes where it connects....So, even when I put the new piece onto the motherboard there will be nothing to make the electrical connection...correct?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice