1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron Laptop won't boot

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by mrmah, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmah

mrmah Thread Starter

My Dell Inspiron (running Windows Vista) won't boot. I had been trying to get rid of "Winzip registry optimizer" which kept running at start up and at other random times. I ran "Spybot Search and Destroy", and "Malwarebyte". Both found and removed some files, but didn't kill the Winzip Optimizer. I started downloading "HJT" and the other tools to create the required logs to start a post here, and continued to use the laptop when I could. Before I could run the logging tools the computer froze. On the next start up, the machine booted into a dell recovery tool, "Start up Repair". It tried to fix itself but couldn't. I tried system restore, but a message returned that there were no saved restore points. I had previously set new restore points when installing new software, and most recently, before running Spybot Search and Destroy. Memory diagnostic found no errors. I was able to get a command prompt and ran chkdsk; no errors. As a last resort, I tried "Dell Factory Image Restore"; no go. It started to run, but stopped suddenly with a simple error pop up, and no new info. I tried to boot into safe mode; it wouldn't boot and only restarted the " System Recovery" tool again. I can still get a command prompt, but can't access the c: drive. I can only get a "X:/>" prompt. I used "dir /p" to search the directories listed and it returned "Volume in drive X is RECOVERY". I found, and was able to open the "regedit" window, which seems to function properly.

How shall I proceed?

I am posting this via my iPad, and I have a desktop as well as a second laptop to download files and burn discs.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

This does not appear to be a Malware issue. Winzip Registry Optimizer is a legit program, but you have learned the hard way how much damage a registry optimizer can do to your system, chances are it has messed up the registry resulting in all the problems that you now have.

There are two ways to deal with this. Take the hard drive out of the system and hook it up to a desktop PC using the internal wiring (or externally using a USB adapter) and format the OS partition, taking great care not to touch the Recovery partition. You should then be able to re-fit the hard drive and run the Factory Restore.

Another method would be to use Gparted which you can download from Here

You need to burn the ISO to a CD which you can then use to boot the faulty PC. It can then be used to format the OS drive and set the Flags so it will boot up directly from the Recovery partition which will allow you to reinstall the OS.

If you need further instructions then please ask.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1077384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice