1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell Inspiron N5010 Random Locks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mebadwow, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mebadwow

mebadwow Thread Starter

Whether I am playing a game or just browsing the internet my laptop will randomly lock for 1-2 min and I can't do anything until it un-locks. Try to get into task manager or do anything else and they will pop up only after the computer un-locks. I have run spyware and other programs to see what might be causing it to no avail. Hope there is someone who can help me with my issues.

Dell Inspiron N5010
    Windows 7 Home 64 bit
    Intel Duo i5 M450 2.4Ghz
    4GB Ram
    ATI Radeon HD 5470

Thanks for any future help with my issues. Hope I posted in the right forum

2. Sponsor

3. DomCru

DomCru

I've seen these kind of issues on Dell systems with 64-bit OS before. These kind of lock-ups can be caused/resolved by a driver.
    If you check your event viewer following a lock-up you should see the specific errors and this could point you in the right direction. If you're unsure, you could paste them in here.
    If it does point to something like your chipset (Intel HM57), you may just need to download the latest driver from the Dell website.

4. mebadwow

mebadwow Thread Starter

Well I was in-game and had another lockup, saw your post and looked at the event viewer. Had a few errors in the last hour, not sure which one had made the system lockup though.

Source Log Last Hour 24 Hours 7 Days

iaStor System 1, 2, 13
    Dhcp-Client Microsoft Win 2, 3, 24
    Service Control Manager System 1, 1, 6
    DistributedCOM System 6, 55, 307

I hope I got the right information

Thanks

5. mebadwow

mebadwow Thread Starter

Locked up again and I looked at the event viewer and IaStor was what had an error if that helps any

6. DomCru

DomCru

That IaStor relates to your storage drivers. The first thing to try is downloading the latest SATA driver (Version A01) for your N5010. You can find them in the drivers and download section on the Dell website. The fixes mention improved power management and enhanced performance so they should address it.

7. mebadwow

mebadwow Thread Starter

Downloaded the updated software and had another lock up with the event viewer saying IaStor had an error :mad:

8. mebadwow

mebadwow Thread Starter

Had another lock up last night while playing a game, these 3 errors happened within 7 sec of each other:

DistributedCOM
    Service Control Manager
    isStor

I was locked for about 1-2 min before I could do anything

9. DomCru

DomCru

Ok, one easy way to check if it is in fact a driver/third party software issue or a hardware problem is to load Windows into Safe Mode and see if you get the issues there.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the system still locks up while in safe mode, then it points to a hardware issue so you could scan your hard drive for errors.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

If you don't get the problems in safe mode, then we want to check if it is a driver or a third party software issue. The easiest way to establish that is performing a clean boot. What that will do is limit the applications that are loaded by default. (Remember to revert back to Normal Startup after testing)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

If you still get problems in clean boot, then the problem is a driver. At this point you're looking to update drivers like chipset, BIOS and any SATA related ones.
    If your system runs fine in clean boot, then the problem is one of the applications that were disabled. You can narrow down which one by following the Enable half of the services and Startup items guides in the clean boot guide.

Hopefully that will get to the bottom of the problem.

10. mebadwow

mebadwow Thread Starter

So I got frustrated and re-formated my computer yesterday. Thinking that this would fix my issue, but again I had the same lockup....at this point I am clueless

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/984562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice