1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dell labtop crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by germcarthur, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. germcarthur

germcarthur Thread Starter

Hi, wondering if anyone can be of help pls. While using my labtop a message came up to say that it was shutting down to protect my computer. I started it up again but after the dell startup comes on the screen goes completely black with a flashing cursor on the top left hand side of screen. Shut down and restarted, pressed F12 immediately, can get into PSA+Pre-Boot Assessment. System runs through a series of checks including System Board system test, hard drive DST SHORT TEST, CD ROM / DVD, video card, LCD graphics, and Memory test, all come up with passing test. After the testing ends a prompt comes up - Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition, with an OK icon- I press the OK button and I immediately am back to the black screen with a flashing cursor. Can anyione help pls. Sry for long message, just want to give as much info as possible

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Reboot the PC and press F8. This should get you to a menu that has Safe Mode. Choose Last Known Good configuration, and see if that works.

3. germcarthur

Thankyou for your reply. I have tried that but I am not getting anywhere when I press F8, it just returns to flashing cursor. By starting up again and pressing F12 immediately I can get into Onboard NIC, Broadcom UNDI etc comes up. Next paragraph starts withy Intel Base- Code etc.
    After a moment the following print comes up-PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable.
    PXE-MOF:Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
    Flashing cursor sign

Also I have been into my email on another labtop and I notice that there is a notice posted at the top of my email page saying that it looks like I haveenabled internet explorer compatability view and that gmail works better if I turn this off, I have not noticed this message before and I was in my email when the labtop crashed, I am wondering if this is having any effect.

Many thanks in advance
    GER

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check if the hard drive cable has come loose.

5. germcarthur

The hard drive is set into a a space in the labtop which is held in by three screws rather than attached to cable. I took out the hard drive and swapped it into an external hard drive device and was able to copy all my files ( that was a relief as I was afraid it may have been a dead hard drive.Put the hard drive back into labtop but getting nowhere still, any more ideas pls.

6. germcarthur

I still havent resolved my problem. I rarely have access to a computer now so its very intermittent that I can try to identify the problem. I am now wondering if the problem is hardrive corruption because when I removed my hardrive and put it into an external hard drive casing I copied my files to down ( only some of my files copied down) but I now find that the harrddrive I copied to is not now working. I am wondering if the following file may be the cause of it -coussent.com/open, as I was inh my email and in that site when it crashed.

Many thanks gor all the help so far

Ger

7. germcarthur

Problem solved I think, virus caused the crash, wiped the labtop and reloaded, seems to be going ok. Many thanks for all the helpfull hints.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice