1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell lap top getting bogged down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pcguy9441, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I'm running Win7 HP on a Dell Vostro M350 w 2G RAM and investigating intermittent IE stalling during accessing/loading of retail websites. I just removed MSE so only AVG running off hours and no other scheduled processes should be running. This is wireless, so can't rule out a week signal at other end of house-need to investigate further. Runs fine next to router when I try to check it out, then when wife is surfing in kitchen, slow again, but not always. I have a new "n" Netgear dual band router and laptop is on the 2.4Gig band shared with no one. I'm considering a repeater in the middle of the house once I'm convinced it's a weak signal thing. DSL is ATT at 3meg tier, but 2.67 measured with Speakeasy.net. My personal 3.2Gig core 2 duo tower is direct-connect to router and never, ever see a lag in browsing but I use Chrome 99% of the time. have not seen an issue with IE on tower either for that matter. laptop does have only 2G of RAM (I have 4) and seems to be at 1.5G or 1.6G utilization much of the time, so maybe it's memory bound but no apps open other than IE and Outlook 2010.

I find IE consuming 25% of cpu when just idling on a given page. what's it doing? Is this normal? Java has been removed and no fancy graphics on websites. When I kill IE then reopen it and it's just sitting on same page, it's at zero cpu usage. Then after a lot of surfing and opening/closing pages, it's spinning it's again wheels doing something while the screen is static.

I did recently convert email from POP3 to IMAP with iCloud for full syncing with a new iPad (all works). Maybe there's some background Outlook overhead going on there??? However, this is a long term complaint that precedes arrival of the iPad.

Also, does anyone know of a free "MS task manager" like app that will quickly display the top 2 or 3 processes in terms of % cpu cycles? Since this is intermittent, by the time I get Windows Task Manager up and scan the long list, the offending process often drops to zero. I have Sysinternals Process Explorer, but it still takes time to study the display to see who's doing what. I just want something that quickly displays the "smoking gun" with no misc. data to sift through.

Thanks!

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Dear pcguy:
    Did you have AVG & MSE installed at the same time? Having 2 anti virus programs installed at the same time will usually cause a computer to run slowly, perhaps freeze a computer.

I'd run AVG's remover & MSE's remover.

What's the max ram your computer can use? See Dell support or www.crucial.com [ although crucial may require java ]

Is slowness only on the internet? important distinction.
    If so, run IE with no add ons.

On which date did the problem begin? Occasionally the exact date is important.

When did the computer last work well? What changed? Perhaps a hardware or software install or removal; W7 update [ check W7's update history ]; an update to your anti malware or other program?

Which W7? Which SP?

Which IE?

Are you familiar with Sys Internal's Process Explorer & Process Manager?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533.aspx

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice