1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dell laptop blue screen of death.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notanotherone, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notanotherone

notanotherone Thread Starter

I have a cheap dell laptop inspiron 15 3531 with windows 10 installed. Last night I got repeated blue screens, there was at least three or four different ones. The two that I managed to write down were; bad system config info and IRQL not less or equal. It said it needed to restart but every time it did it came up with another blue screen and then it restarted a final time and nothing came on the screen at all. I tried to restart it manually, but again nothing on the screen. The power comes on and I can hear the fan but that's it. I did a little research on my phone and it was suggested I take out the battery and power cable and hold down the power button...nothing, I removed the memory and put it back...nothing. I'm guessing a piece of hardware has failed. I have also tried to connect it to a monitor but again nothing. Anyone have any magical ideas? Thanks.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Magical? No. Varying BSOD codes are typically a hardware fault. You've covered the limited troubleshooting that can be done with a laptop. If it's under warranty, have it serviced/replaced, otherwise it is likely more cost effective to simply replace it.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on your Dell Inspiron 3531 laptop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. notanotherone

For some strange reason it doesn't have one. There was just a white sticker where it should be. I peeled it off thinking there might be something underneath it and it says "Service Tag Label (71.5x5.5mm)". I remember it was very cheap when I bought it online, perhaps so cheap that it didn't have any warranty? I can't even find any emails from the site I bought it from.

5. notanotherone

Thanks, I think you're right, it's probably more cost effective to buy a new one.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That model laptop appears to be less than 3 years old and appears to have sold brand new with Windows 8.1 for less than $300.00.
    If that's correct, I agree it would be more cost-effective to replace it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If that sticker is in a location where it was touched alot, the ink may have simply rubbed off. It's not that uncommon for a laptop.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice